The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Friday, July 16, 2010

Teaching is a Mission...

          Although I adore my job, can't imagine doing anything else, get energized by my students every day...teaching is a tough job.  It saps everything out of you; I am lucky my couch is just a few feet from my front door, because there are evenings when I barely make it that far.

        Earlier today I was talking to my best friend and former teaching partner.  She was talking about the difference between "fix" and "help" and "serve."  When you "fix" a student or a friend, that implies they are broken.  When you "help" them, that implies there is a deficit; the helper is superior and the helpee is inferior.  When you serve, all of your strengths and experiences and weaknesses come into play.  It is a harmonious pairing.

       Teachers serve.  We're on a mission.  (To quote from the movie The Blues Brothers, "We're on a mission from God."  Teaching is part religion/spirit/faith...) If teachers make the sacrifices and put in the extra hours for some monetary reward, please find another profession.  Students need us to bring our best game to the classroom every day.  

       I was looking on another blog, and saw this book cited.  Since I still have a few weeks before meetings and "Meet the Teacher" night, I thought I might check this one out.  From the description, there are lots of ways to ramp up student learning.  

        If anyone has read this book, I'd love to hear your opinion of it.

        Savor the summer while it's still here...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...