The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Reasons to Hate Natalie Goldberg

1.  She is so good at what she does.
2.  She gets it. Day after day, she understands the writing process.
3.  She says it with such clarity and groundedness...

       Of course, I really adore Goldberg's work.  Her book, Writing Down the Bones is like a bible to me.


      This is what she unearthed from a notebook, written on July 27, 1984:

I know this working with my tired, resistant mind is the deepest I'll get on the earth.  Not the joy or ecstasy I feel sometimes or the momentary flashes of enlightenment, but this touching of the nitty gritty of my everyday life and standing in it and continuing to write is what breaks my heart open so deeply to a tenderness and softness toward myself and from that, a glowing compassion for all that is around me.  Not just for the table and Coke in front of me, the paper straw, air conditioner, men crossing the street on this July day in Norfolk, Nebraska, bank digital clock blinking 4:03, my friend writing opposite me, but for the swirling memories and deep longings of our minds and the suffering we work through daily. And it comes from me naturally as I move pen across the page and break down the hard, solid crusts of thought in my own mind and the way I limit myself.

So it is very deep to be a writer. It is the deepest thing I know. And I think, if not this, nothing--it will be my way in the world for the rest of my life. I have to remember this again and again.

               Live deeply...And write.

1 comment:

  1. All I can say is "WOW"! ...but, really, I can say more! I, too, LOVE this book! In fact I need to get it out again, and leave it on my desk, for quick little pick-me-ups! I LOVE everything Natalie write. She can be so funny and sarcastic, kind of like me! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...