The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Thursday, December 1, 2011

NaNoWriMo and WWWP

        It was a WWWP night last night---Wild Women Weilding Pens--and the end of NaNoWriMo. As usual, the critique group made sure it was a rowdy and sometimes bawdy evening. (We're so glad Beth is back!)

        I tried to keep everyone on track and serious. I really did. I tried to prevent the group from veering off into gut-busting ruts. Honest. Unfortunately, it seemed like the rest of the women were determined to snort and guffaw. I just sat by and watched, as I shook my head in disgust.

         One of the writers shared a story from her childhood. That critique led to a serious discussion about the importance of wood in Jesus' life, but then the voices rose, and the talk went off in a whole other direction. I tried to remain rigid with my resolve, but failed...

       I will say I liked my idea for my NaNoWriMo novel, but it's going to take lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of revising before I'll show it to anybody. Even my dog Foley, who eats poop, got one whiff of my novel and has turned his nose up at the prospect of me sharing it with him.  (Have you figured out how I got to the 50,000 mark?  Are you really really really really really curious?) I began the story with my writing critique group, and started writing some short stories from the voices of the other women. I figured, it would be the best of both worlds: a novel and a collection of personal essays. A bathroom book (a book to read in the bathroom, when you only have 10 minutes to read*) and a bedroom book (a book to read in bed before falling asleep).

        That lasted for about three minutes. I found I could not cloak myself in the style of the other writers, and my writing quickly stumbled back to my own style.

        I have one of the characters surviving a traumatic event, and the women begin a part-time business together. That's the only "plot" I have going...Hence, the hot mess quality of the story.

       I submitted two Chicken Soup stories yesterday morning (the deadline was yesterday--hey, it was the morning so I was working ahead) and have a Sasse piece to submit next week; it was critiqued last night, and needs some revising, but then I'll send it off.

      Maybe in a few days I'll write a post about all the things I'm thankful for. The holiday came and went in a blur of family, food and gift-wrapping at our local Barnes and Noble.

       Have a great weekend. Hopefully I can return to commenting on my favorite blogs (I've been reading them) and life will get normal again--or at least as close to normal as I can get...


* Ten minutes in the bathroom? Okay, so perhaps I should stop considering chocolate (it comes from a plant) as a vegetable and hence roughage?

4 comments:

  1. YAY NaNo Winner! I can't wait to read it. But my NaNo story, although not as interesting as yours, is the same in that I won't even show it to anyone. I'm afraid to read the thing myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The serious discussion was indeed a hard one to have. Congratulations again on your NaNo win!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynn--Me, too. I'm afraid. I'm very, very afraid. You are the WWWWWP--the Woot!Woot! Wild Woman Weilding Pens! Thanks for all your encouragement and last-minute tech support.

    Tammy-- Thanks.

    It was indeed hard. On an unrelated note, I tried to remain rigid in my resolve to resist those heavenly chicken salad "nests." One should have been enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your woman apologized should the posting screaming, “ Debunking Eating plans, ” appeared to be mistaken towards the aim of this content. https://imgur.com/a/bARio7u https://imgur.com/a/1dxtBbF https://imgur.com/a/xD9mkwn https://imgur.com/a/Gvx7Ytp https://imgur.com/a/tMoIry6 https://imgur.com/a/HyOuKXZ https://imgur.com/a/oWP28JB

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...