The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

I'm a Woman...W-O-M-A-N, I'll Say It Again

      How much mileage can you get out of a scraped scalp? Apparently a lot.

     A year or so ago, I got my head caught in the sink at work. I was trying to save $5. Washing my hair so I wouldn't have to pay my hair stylist an extra fee... After the shampooing was finished, I was going to drive quickly to my appointment, so my hair would still be damp when I arrived.

      That was the plan, anyhow. Since the sink was incredibly small, the faucet was huge (and apparently I was incredibly cheap), it ended up a bit of a mess.

        Because.

        My head.

        Got.

        StuckanditwasaonestallbathroomandIhaddeadbolteditsoIwasREALLYstuck!

         Within the last week, I've gotten the news that Mozark Press is publishing my fictionalized story of this hair-raising experience. My blogging buddy Lisa Ricard Claro and my fellow WWWP (Wild Women Wielding Pens) Linda O'Connell also have stories in this anthology. 

          Today I got an email telling me my nonfiction version is going to be part of Publishing Syndicate's first book in the Not Your Mother's Book series; it's titled On Being a Woman and will be released on October 9.



           See? A bit of flesh left on a faucet goes a long way...

         What kind of tidbit of life experience have you used in several ways--morphing it for various publications or contests? Or What was the stupidest thing you ever did?(Getting my head held hostage by a faucet is not one of my brighter moments, for sure.)

15 comments:

  1. That is so cool! It is so nice to "know" a famous person!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat--You're too funny. What did you put in your coffee this morning? ;)

      Delete
  2. Wow...you wrote a fictional and true story about your Head in the Sink accident and they both got accepted! Awesome! Congrats, Sioux!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky--Thanks. Yes, one is quite "embellished" and the other is just the facts, ma'am.

      Delete
  3. Wow! I wish I could get that much mileage out of MY head! I refuse to reveal the stupidest thing I ever did. Though some say the words public, urination, Strassenfest, and Port-a-Potty might have been involved. All I know is that no firemen were called to my rescue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Sioux, I can't wait to read your story. I'm sorry that happened to you, but . . . HAHAHAHA!!! Thanks for the link up there; I'm proud to have a story in the book with you and Linda. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too. I am now going to be affiliated with the famous Lisa Ricard Claro...the one who is ageless. Yahoo!

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great story, albeit it a bit painful I'm sure! But, it's getting published, and like one of the earlier comments said, I'm glad to know a famous person too! :D I have a few stories like this, but if they aren't already on my blog, then I think I've locked them away never to see the light of day. Yes, some of them are that bad... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey. Rohin--If we live life the way we're supposed to (taking risks, etc.) we are bound to do some stupid, klutzy things.

      Delete
  7. I don't have any that I have used in several ways. As you know, I am not exactly hyper-published. However, I did write a piece about the funeral of a co worker who was killed in a workplace shooting and that was published in a national big-circulation magazine. That was in the 1990's. I wasn't writing poetry then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fireblossom--
      Oh lordy, you write prose too? I'm going to just put away my laptop and surrender.

      I would love to get the chance to read the article sometime. I'm sure it was moving...

      Delete
  8. Hi Sioux,
    What great news and how clever turning an embarrassing situation into publication and cash!

    Stupidest thing I've ever done? There's not enough room here to list them.

    donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna--
      Thanks. Yes, I too have countless things on my "stupid" list, so when I can, I turn them into assests.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...