The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Monday, March 17, 2014

Be Prepared

     Last year I submitted an essay, hoping to be part of the Listen to Your Mother show in St. Louis. My piece didn't even get a nibble. What was with that?

      So I went to the show, did some undercover work as a spy, and found out the show consisted of all stories. Not an essay in the bunch. And during the show, as I listened to the moving stories, I sobbed and snorted. And I got more determined...

      I did my prep work. I found out what kind of writing they were looking for.

      This year Listen to Your Mother opened for submissions in January, and after getting my story critiqued by the WWWPs, I sent it off a few days after the submission period began.

     I prepped. I polished up my story and made it as shiny as possible.

       I waited. And waited. And when they emailed me, telling me I had made it through the first hoop, that I was going to get to audition, I worked on paring my story down a little. I read it aloud. Lots. I took out the word "inexplicably" because I knew I'd trip all over it.

      I continued to prepare...




       On the evening of my audition, I brought along a big QT cup full of tea...because I knew I would get parched and nothing would be within immediate reach. I peed...because I'm fifty-something and never pass up a bathroom. I got there extra early, so I could sit and practice and relax.

         I prepared by getting as much in place as I could.

        Decisions would be made at the end of the week, we were told. They said we'd hear either way. I certainly hoped I would make it, but I was prepared to get the "Thanks but no thanks" email.

          I hoped for the best but prepared for the worst.

          This time (for me) being prepared paid off. I got an email yesterday congratulating me. On May 10, I'll be part of St. Louis' 2nd annual Listen to Your Mother show.

           So, St. Louis friends--save that date. And get your tickets now. Last year they got snapped up fairly quickly...

           What was the best (or the worst) advice your mother/grandmother/aunt ever gave you?

     

        

22 comments:

  1. Congrats! I'm sure you'll have the crowd yelling, "Encore! Encore!" Break a leg! That's a proper show-biz well-wish, isn't it?

    The best advice my mom ever gave me? It was on the day before I got married: "Honey, they're all alike." Not quite sure exactly what she meant, but she was right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val--I think we BOTH know what she meant...(And thank you. But perhaps "Break a leg," is not something you should say to me because as gawky as I am, I might literally break something as I walk onto the stage.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you on the acceptance! You are a determined gal and it paid off for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudia--Thanks. You are determined as well. Get to work on that novel you're working on...;)

      Delete
  4. Congratulations, Sioux! I just bought my tix for the 10am show! Can't wait to meet you! I recently did a post on advice from my mother...her words are with me always! Break a leg!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NoExcuses--Thanks, and thank you for buying tickets. I'm heading to your blog now...It's always interesting to hear advice that other people's mothers have given them.

      Delete
  5. Hi Sioux,
    What wonderful news! Congratulations and best wishes. Your post shows how persistence and preparation pay off--and how important it is to take potty breaks whenever you can!
    Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna-Thanks. When you get to be a certain age, you know which gas station chains have the best bathrooms and you ALWAYS go before you leave the house.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations! I saw your name in the audition list, and hoped you'd get picked. I received the "thanks but no thanks" email - but it's all good. I can't wait to hear your story!

    And my mom's sex advice? "Tell him to keep it in his pants." He didn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim--Thanks. You're an old pro. You were part of the "maiden voyage" of the St. Louis show.

      Your mom's advice sounds like advice we gave our son when he was a teenager. Except with him, we let him know the "it" we were talking about.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations! Opportunity favors the prepared, and you've proven that to be true. You have to be so proud of yourself! You worked hard and earned that "yes!" The best advice was "You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar." She was right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lisa--Thanks. And your mom was right. That is soooo true. Unfortunately, sometimes it seems there's a shortage of honey and an overabundance of vinegar...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! It's nice to be reminded that hard work really does pay off, and you will of course be awesome. I recently realized my mother didn't give a lot of advice - and that's a pretty priceless gift on its own.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tammy--I agree. Unasked-for advice is quite a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Terrific news! Persistence and determination paid off. You are a good example to the slackers amongst us (me). My husband's aunt told me on me wedding day, "You'll wake up some morning and think 'What have I done!' but don't worry, we all do that, it's normal." I have, and I don't worry, instead I think of her and smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcia--Nobody would ever call you a slacker. You win more contests than anyone in St. Louis. Many of us (me) don't even enter...

      Jim's aunt was right. ALL women say that at some point...;)

      Delete
  12. Congrats, Sioux! I first read the news on the Saturday Writers website. I didn't know you'd entered, so it was a really fun surprise! (And don't worry, I won't tell you to "break a leg"...those are not good-luck words to me, either!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becky--Thanks.

      And oh, I might break a (real) leg.

      Delete
  13. YAY!!! I just blogged about your and Listen To Your Mother show and just bought my ticket! Congratulations. I can't wait to see you LIVE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn--You see me "live" a couple of times a month. Isn't that scary enough?

      Delete
  14. Congratulations, Sioux! I'm sure you'll perform like a shining star.

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat--Can I get a little Earth, Wind and Fire to accompany that comment?

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...