The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Prompting the Writing

        This summer I'm working with teachers of writing. All day, four days a week, for five weeks. It's pretty heady stuff.

         Every day we start with a daily prompt. Each day, a different teacher chooses a prompt to get us writing for 10 minutes. Then, we share what we've written.

         One day the prompt was a commercial. In it, a father kept doing crazy things with his kids and kept saying, "Don't tell Mom." (It ended with the mother going skydiving and saying, "Don't tell Dad.") The prompt: Begin your piece with the words "Don't tell."

          Sometimes the prompt is a photo on the internet. Once, it was the first line from a novel: "The mouth is a strange place." It's the perfect way to start the day--warming up our writing mind.

          Yesterday we had five columns, and we had to choose one word from each column to use in our piece. As soon as I saw "Mrs. Cassidy," I knew what I was going to write about. (The other words I chose were sink, scatter, swell and iconoclastic.)

          Here's my story:

         "Swell. You're here," I said. A middle-aged woman stood at the door. She didn't look worthy of him. She looked like he had settled. Really settled.
          "Yes? Can I help you?"
          "So, you must be Mrs. Cassidy. When you married him, you got me all whipped up into a frenzy. Years ago, I made a voodoo doll of you, and eventually, scattered parts of it all over the country. You're an undeserving skank and your reign with him--the partridge of all the Partridge Family, the iconoclastic singer of the 60's and 70's--well, your time is up."
         Her mouth gaped open, like a brainless fish stuck in a tiny fishbowl.
         I yanked her by her hair, not even giving her the chance to say another word, and started shoving her in  a direction I hoped would lead in a direction which would lead to either the bathroom or the kitchen.
        Another reason to shout "swell," because we had gotten to the back of the house where the kitchen was. I filled up the sink, keeping my grip on her hair and despite her struggling, managed to hold her head under the water until she was limp and motionless.
        Now I could take my rightful place beside David...


        Why did "Mrs. Cassidy" instantly spark an idea? When I was 11 or 12, I was in love with David Cassidy. When he married the actress Kay Lenz, I was aghast. I could easily imagine a pre-teen crush going awry.


Aaah... the days when all hair was feathered back...


        Certainly there are huge holes in this story, and if I was interested in revising it, there's loads of work to do. However, I benefited from warming up with a little creative spark.

        How do you warm up? What rituals do you engage in to start off your writing? 

21 comments:

  1. You come up with the most clever exercises! That picture sure brought back some memories. Do I want to know what he looks like now?

    Wish I could say I had a nice warm up routine. I often write on a computer that takes about 10 minutes to turn on. By the time it finally gets there, all I can think about is how badly I want to get to the typing. Crazy, but it's a motivator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy--So THAT is your secret. Perhaps I need to sit for 10 minutes before I start typing?

      (And no, you don't want to see him now. A DUI or two... he's had a rough time lately...)

      Delete
  2. Sioux, it has been so long since I have warmed up! I have been so busy and INTERRUPTED the writing is dead...my mind still rattles around words and lines...it is so unsatisfying, so stressful not to have Line Time! It will come again. You are busy to but oh, what a mind exercising you are on! Loved your story...it is amazing how much those little stories can tell! On this trip, I found a great story idea, a western of course. I might need your help because this story has story kind of humor and snap...if written right! Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudia--Get busy on that western... before it gallops away from you and you've lost it.

      Delete
  3. Sasquatch said he always knew you had it in you! You sure included a lot of details in this short piece, and you had a twist. Write on sister. Those prompts and word selections stump me because I overthink it, but your story flowed as though you wrote effortlessly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda--Remind Sas that I have an alter-ego... and he knows who she is. So he should be afraid. He should be VERY afraid.

      Delete
  4. I think Kay Lenz was in every B movie of the 70s!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shay--I have fond memories of "Breezy." She's been in some crime TV shows recently as a guest, but yeah, she didn't set the place on fire with her acting.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Are you coming out of the closet as a fan of the Partridge Family?

      Delete
  6. Sometimes you frighten me, and I don't mean your face on a book. That story sent chills through the ice water in my veins.

    I don't feel bad for Kay Lenz, because a few months ago, I saw half of the movie "Breezy" and found her character to be a real stalker kind of gal. Not by 1973 standards, when she would have been considered a free spirit. But now it seems like she had an infatuation with William Holden. Too bad it was only her character, because your man David snatched her up four years later!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Val--Yeah, but he dumped her. I think he left her because he was--deep inside--searching for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Coffee. Then, more coffee.

    I like the story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mama Zen--So THAT is your secret? Does that mean if I drink loads of coffee (like you), I will write poetry like you?

    Yeah, I know. That song from the musical "Man of LaMancha" is playin' already...

    (And thanks. You probably like the twistedness at the end, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahahahaa! I was not a big David Cassidy fan--Bobby Sherman was the guy of my preteen dreams--but I could definitely relate.

    Which kinda scares me. :-)

    (What a wonderful summer exercise! You and your teacher friends might enjoy Kidlit Summer School. The focus this summer is plot--last year, it was character and the exercises were great. And did I mention prizes?) :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cathy--Bobby Sherman paled next to David Cassidy. But both their faces filled up many, many pages in Tiger Beat magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ahhh, David! *sigh!* He was my favorite, too. The summer he was on the cover of Tiger Beat, crowned with the title "Big Star of Tomorrow," I wandered the Cape Cod flats singing "Close to You" by the Carpenters and daydreaming about Le David. That hair! Those eyes! That voice! He was my first real crush.

    My writing warm-up & rituals . . . I'm a huge procrastinator, and I know this about myself. So, honestly, I get water or tea and force myself to sit and start typing. Like Nike. Just do it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lisa--So, if I had offed Kay Lenz, I would have had to battle you as well?

    Glen Campbell (in True Grit--aah!) was my first crush, but David Cassidy came soon after.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This exercise did a great job bringing out your inner stalker/serial killer. Isn't it lovely what innocent release we find in writing?

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat--You're assuming it's only an INNER stalker/serial killer.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...