The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Monday, September 7, 2015

That's Why...

... there's six different kinds of pie in a restaurant. 

       That's a phrase I heard frequently when I was growing up. My grandparents and parents weren't usually talking about dining out when they said it, either. For them, it meant that everyone has their own preferences, their own likes and dislikes. For example, my grandpa loved to fish but I thought it was horribly boring. Sitting around. Not being allowed to talk. 

       That's why there's six different kinds of pie in a restaurant. That's why there are lots of different activities to choose from.




          When I visited France this summer, I spent most of my time in Nay, a small town close to Pau. At the market, the cheese shop offered many, many varieties of cheese to choose from. Some were made from cow's milk. Some from goat's milk. Some from both. Some kinds were sharp in taste... some were mild. 

           I tapped away at my WIP last night. I'm at 70,000 words and some change (but just a few pennies' worth of change... I'm not talkin' 'bout some quarters' worth). And I thought about all the different kinds of books that are sold these days.

           Chick lit appeals to some. Collections of short stories are enjoyed by many. Cookbooks are savored by lots of people. But what if a book was a combination of all three?

           My WIP--right now--straddles several different genres. I hope it appeals to people if it ever sees the light of day when it is finished. I hope there are readers who appreciate it. I hope there are people who rave about its flavor.

            What is your favorite kind of pie? Pastry-obsessed minds want to know.

23 comments:

  1. With that tease, you will have to bring an excerpt. Glad you are moving right along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda--You've seen the first (smelly) version.

      And what about the pie? ;)

      Delete
    2. Peach pie or chocolate, although O'Charley's has a lemon cream to die for.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Shay--THAT is why there are 6 different kinds of pie in a restaurant. I'm one of those weird people who doesn't like apple pie. I love apples, but not apple fritters, fried apples or apple pie.

      Delete
  3. I am glad you had the time to work on the WIP! I like lots of genres but seems like not much time to read them all anymore. One of my favorites is the memior...and I love sour cream raisn or chocolate pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudia--One of my favorites is chocolate chiffon. My grandmother had a recipe that made up a perfectly delicious pie.

      Delete
  4. So many pies, so little elasticity in my waistband! If only allowed one choice, I would have to pick coconut cream.

    Your WIP can be like Neapolitan ice cream! A flavor for everybody, right there in one package.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val--Coconut? Are you nuts? (I don't do anything coconutty, including German chocolate cake, which is too bad, because I love chocolate and I love nuts... it's that pesky coconut that ruins it. ;)

      And the thing about Neapolitan ice cream... most people scrape out and serve up the one or two flavors that are their favorite first, leaving the other flavor (or two) to get all freezer-burned.

      Delete
  5. Well, you already know my favorite. I love Romance and happily-ever-after, two people who learn to love each other no matter their flaws. I'll look forward to reading your book, and I've no doubt it will entertain and fulfill, just like my other favorite...apple pie. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa--Why does that not surprise me? A good apple pie is sweet, complex--yet at the same time, basic/down to earth, and satisfying... Perhaps you could be described in the same way?

      Delete
  6. I'm looking forward to this yummy book, too! My mom used to say, "To each his own, said the old lady who kissed the cow," when she meant that everyone had their own tastes. My onw favorite taste? Chocolate pie (the kind with a mile-high meringue on top).

    Um...or no, wait. Pecan pie. You canNOT beat a good Southern pecan pie. Though a tart piece of Key Lime pie can really hit the spot.

    You know what? I can't pick just one favorite pie any more than I can pick one favorite genre of books. I like 'em all! (And I'm sure I'll like yours!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy--What about a pecan chocolate pie? I'm sure there are combinations of the two.

      Delete
  7. Lemon meringue is my fav, followed closely by cherry and peach. Oh, and my sister Bridget makes a wicked French silk pie laced with whiskey. That's always a holiday treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna--A wicked-good French silk pie? Sounds scrumptious.

      Delete
  8. Sioux, you're not going to believe this, but I don't like pie! I guess if I had to choose, it would be peach, because my gram used to can peaches in summer and I loved the smell. I do like cake, though, so maybe that counts...? And if so, I'd choose caramel icing on white cake, which was also because of Gram because she made it for me every birthday. As far as books go, I will read anything and everything, and love most. Keep pluggin' away on your WIP so I can add yours to my TBR pile!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Theresa--If I had my preferences, I'd take cake over pie, too. For me, crust is just a vehicle for the good stuff--the filling--and with cake, there's no need for a vehicle because it's all good stuff (cake and frosting).

    Thanks for your encouragement...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cherry pie by far, but only my own. Ha. There's cherry pie and then there's MY cherry pie. Cherry pie isn't really cherry pie unless it's my cherry pie. Gawd, don't I sound like a braggard? I want to read your book! Now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn--I am sure your cherry pie is divine (like everything you bake/cook).

      And it's a loooooong way from being finished.

      Delete
  11. Almost any, but pecan and coconut cream are up there. I too would like to hear your short stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy--Pecan pie is one of my favorites as well. And I'm not the master of short. That would be another WWWP, but I won't mention any name. ;)

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...