The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Hot Dog!

        Okay, I admit it: I resisted going with my first idea for a title, since in the picture I am a dog, and I am a female. But I went with "Hot Dog!" instead, to make sure this post is G-rated.



       That's me in the dog costume, standing in the median between the lanes of 94 in St. Charles, across from Fazoli's and the QT (if you know the area). Thankfully, it was a chilly April morning, so I was more comfortable in the "Gilda the Golden" costume than I usually am. *

       Love a Golden--the dog rescue group I volunteer with--was having a rummage sale. That explains why I was in the not-breathable and definitely not-flattering outfit. But what about the how?

        How do people step out of their comfort zone? How do people get out of their rut? How do any of us try something different--something we've never done before?

        By taking one step. No, I don't mean here's-the-one-thing-you-need-to-do kind of step. I mean a literal or figurative movement. Move a foot forward. Raise your hand and volunteer. Say, "Sure. I'll try it." Start a new document that's far different from your norm. Wade in at the shallow end. You might find you like it.

       I once tried to get into a romance anthology. It had a Christmas theme. Romance is something I never write and rarely read. But I wrote a short story, and put a Sioux-spin on it. Lots of snark. Healthy helpings of humor.

        It was quickly rejected. I enjoyed writing it, and the writers I shared it with thought it was funny. If I had been unwilling to at least attempt it, I would have missed out on the fun I had when I wrote it.

           I have a blogging friend who has (probably? privately?) scoffed at my love of Crocs. Most likely, she's seen my posts and photos of the BUS (butt-ugly shoes) and at least mentally laughed at my shoe choice.

      But then Shay--I mean my unnamed, anonymous blogging friend--tried on a pair. And she found out what I've known for years: wearing Crocs is like wearing a pair of slippers.

       So what are you going to try that's out of your comfort zone? What are you going to raise your hand and say "yes" to?

        This "hot dog" wants to know...

* Also thankfully, the person who took this picture did not catch me when I was doing my "pointer' routine. To grab more attention, I also danced (in my usual, herky-jerky Elaine Benes dance-style) and also sometimes acted like a pointer dog. I'd lift one leg up and try to hold it straight out while at the same time, I'd also lean forward and "point" with one arm. Being old and fat and out of shape, this resulted in comical results. I'd lose my balance, stumble a bit, and then try to see how close I was to the road. I'm sure I was responsible for some chuckles on that cold Saturday morning...

       




        

17 comments:

  1. I spend a lot of time accidentally out of my comfort zone because I tend to act before I think. I'm with your 'unnamed' friend - I just can't do crocs even if they ARE comfortable but my neighbour Roger is a huge fan and has several pairs. Sadly he came back from holiday last year having picked up two blue left ones and one right black one so he just wore one of each for the rest of the Summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah--Your neighbour sounds pathetic. Perhaps he needs to be a Crocs support group?

      Leaping without looking for a landing is sometimes a good thing... Unless it's a literal cliff. ;)

      Delete
  2. I am thinking of poor mascots who have been blindsided by sports enthusiasts on fields. You're lucky someone didn't jump out of their car and dog nap you.

    I am sometimes unaware I am out of my comfort zone, and then I receive the rejection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda--Since you rarely get rejected, I'm not going to cry any tears over your risk-taking. ;)

      Delete
  3. Love the costume! I only hope you don't ever have to put it on in the middle of July.

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat--Unfortunately, I HAVE had to wear it in the horrible summer months before. You'd think I'd lose a bunch of weight doing that, but no. No such luck.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. MZ--When was the last time you went to the eye doctor?

      Delete
  5. I bet you had fun as did drivers passing you!! I am pushing...reading
    own work publicly this week for first times. Thursday went well I think and tonight...will see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudia--I'm sure it went well. Do it a bunch and it'll feel like second nature.

      Delete
  6. Great minds, Sioux! I just---literally, just, as in about 30 seconds ago---finished my setting up my blog post for tomorrow about...drumroll...stepping out of our comfort zone and doing things that scare us. Then I popped over here and there you are in a dog suit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa--Well, I'll just have to mosey over there tomorrow.

      And who you callin' a dog? ;)

      Delete
  7. I am going to write a short story and submit it to a contest. I think I might title it, "Crap."

    Have you ever thought of branching out into the Statue of Liberty, or a hairy ape?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val--The hairy ape reference... Did you get a glimpse of my seldom-shaved ankle?

      Delete
  8. You're not telling about the one time you had the suit and backwards and were "very much" a boy dog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Michael--Dead dogs tell no "tails."

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...