The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Thursday, July 14, 2016

Back-of-the-Book Blurb Friday #17


        Every Friday (except for the month that Sioux took off and poked into the bottom of a gross of Russel Stover candies) there is a photo, and a link. (Mr. Linky is such a slinky fellow.)

      The premise is to write a blurb for an imaginary book--and the photo is the cover of the book. You have a limit with the blurb--it can be no longer than 150 words long. You get to choose what kind of book it is. 

       After you write a blurb, add your name to the link. (It's incredibly simple.) Feel free to peruse the dozens of one or two other blurbs that linked.

       Here is the "cover" of the book, along with my blurb:






The Impossible is Possible

When Sioux signed up to pitch her manuscript at a writing conference, she practiced saying the pitch so many times—in the mirror so she could determine if her mustache was visible in different levels of light—she memorized it.

The moment finally arrived. Sioux delivered her pitch, and it was real and it was spectacular. Some even said it was a breathtaking performance. Filled with such enthusiasm, Sioux (accidentally) kicked off a Croc in the middle of her sales pitch. Everyone watched, their mouths gaping open, as they watched it fly into the air and hit the publisher Sioux was pitching to.

The publisher (perhaps suffering from brain damage) said to Sioux, “Send me the whole manuscript. ASAP. In fact, I'll just give you a contract now. Sign here.”

And just like that, the impossible became possible... (140 words)





Here is the photo for next week (7/22) so you can do some thinking and some drafting before it's posted:




       Have a great weekend, and hopefully during the conference my Croc will not fly into the air like a Milk Dud during a surgical procedure...


11 comments:

  1. Heh, heh. MILK DUD! Now that would be just bizarre. A Junior Mint in a operating theater, with random hipster doofuses, horsefaced guys with flaring nostrils, and Humpty Dumpties with melon heads allowed to watch the surgery...THAT I could believe. But a MILK DUD at a writer's conference? You are pushing the limits of believability, Madam!

    The flying Croc? My son kicked off his loafer at a Christmas concert when he was in 1st grade, and it sailed past the head of his choir teacher. He never was one for perfecting his aim.

    Sorry I must bow out of the Blurb this week. More pressing matters are at hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On Saturday I tried to get my Croc to fly up and hit some editor, but I couldn't pull of the necessary velocity. Hopefully this will be the last time (it isn't the first) that I think of that pesky candy as a Milk Dud instead of a Junior Mint. A Junior Mint, after all, is so refreshing...

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Sadly (or in my case, hilariously sometimes) my fiction is often a harbinger for my real-life disasters...

      Delete
  3. Hahaha...may reality bring you the agent's interest without the sailing Croc!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa--

      Are you dissin' my Crocs? Don't underestimate the power of a sailing rubber shoe.

      Delete
  4. What a fun day! So great to see you (and congrats on winning the elevator pitch exercise). For the record, I did not notice any flying Crocs.

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat--Congratulations to you! You didn't need to assault anyone with a rubber shoe in order to get some interest in your manuscript.

      I want to read your book when it's finished, Pat. It's a fascinating story and you're telling it from an interesting perspective.

      Delete
  5. I know at least part of that story is true, since I just got here from Donna's page, lol. Hope to hear more about hte writing conference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean--Yeah, those rubbery Crocs come in handy in so many ways...

      Delete
  6. This reminded me of the time twenty years ago, I applied for a teaching job (which I got, thank goodness) but when I got to my car, I realized that my pants had split in the back and I didn't know it. I was walking around the school with the principal and my butt was showing the whole time! I still get embarrassed just thinking about it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...