The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Sunday, April 8, 2018

Traveling Turkish-Style, Being "Too Cool" Results in Being Cold and 6-Word Memoirs

I got back this weekend from Turkey. I saw lovely countryside, ate delicious food and we ended up bringing back four golden retrievers. I'll write more about the dogs on Friday, and tell about a dog we rescued while I was there--her name (for now) is SueJan (named after the other Love a Golden volunteer who traveled with me, and me... Yeah, I know, but "SiouxJan" would be too hard to verbally navigate).

This is Danny, one of the goldens we brought from Turkey to
Chicago and then to St. Louis. Our flight from Istanbul got in late
on Thursday night, so we spent the night at La Quinta, which is a
dog-friendly chain. Each of us had 2 dogs in our room. Danny is
used to sleeping in a bed since he was rescued in January, and
has been spoiled (as all dogs should be) by his Turkish foster mom.

I brought clothes that could be hand washed and hung up or laid out to dry, since I was going to be in Turkey a week and I was only bringing a small carry-on bag. I didn't need no stinkin' coat or jacket. I was going to a warm country, after all.


That is me on the right. We're in Aya Sofya,
a church (now a museum) built in 400-something AD.

Well, one evening in Gomec (a small town about 5 hours from Istanbul) I had to borrow a hoodie. It was a bit too cool. Other than that, I was fine with my lack out outerwear...

... until we got to Chicago. It was snowing. And in the 30s. And blustery. When we stopped to let the dogs out, midway, on our car trip to St. Louis, I was bare-legged (with a skirt) and had only a t-shirt and long-sleeved shirt over it. Both Jan and I begged the dogs to quickly pee and poop. They weren't completely cooperative, but I can't blame them. They'd been cooped up crates and were thrilled to be able to walk around and sniff. 

 Here's a 6-word memoir that pays homage to my favorite kind of shoe--especially when traveling.

Hose off Crocs... They're good again. 

Here is one about a delicious dessert we had. Some of their food was so rich, it wreaked havoc on our digestive system. One of our hosts called helva a "bomb" due to its richness. My stomach agreed... and yet I still could not resist.

Helva: heavenly-tasting, hell on intestines

How about you? When did you pack for a trip in a way that caused you regret? What foreign food can you not stay away from? Curious minds (like mine) want to know. 

9 comments:

  1. The only thing I regret is over packing. My philosophy is better to have it and not need it than to get caught bare armed and shivering in Chi town.

    I don't do foreign food although I have eaten some odd looking food from the Chinese buffet.

    Thank you for rescuing those pups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love with those beautiful dogs! This is such a wonderful thing you do (among lots of other things), and I am so proud to call you my friend.

    www.patwahler.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky dogs. Danny looks . . . tired. And relieved. I hope he finds a wonderful home.

    Can't recall a time I over or under packed, not because I'm so good at packing, but because we don't travel all that often.

    Food . . . hm. I'm not sure about that one. I like almost everything.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm like Linda in that I tend to overpack. But when I went to NYC, I figured layers would be fine and didn't bring a coat.

    Yeah. I bought a nice, warm, sweater. :-)

    I'll try most foreign foods--or at least sniff 'em. But anything sweet and I will absolutely feast on it. One of my faves is Baklava but any pastry will do. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are such an adventuress! I'm not a good traveler, and I'm more likely to over-pack than find myself without something. Trying new foods is also not something I relish.

    I hope the doggies are having a blast sniffing out new odors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never travel anymore, so I can't speak to that. Zacky Peanut expects to sleep with his mom EVERY night, so I can't leave unless he goes, too! However, when he acts goofy, I tell him he is very Turkish, because he's being a "turkey" as we used to say in the 70s.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!I take it you like dogs?I am sure they are thankful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...