The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Friday, July 20, 2018

"Going Dark"... and Back-of-the-Book Blurb # 108

Well, I have less than a month before school starts. During that month, a lot is getting packed in: a trip to Tulsa (for research), a 3-day workshop (robotics--yikes!), and getting my classroom ready... along with the normal faculty meetings and student get-togethers.

Also, I have several books I want to read so I can change things up in my classroom. Can I skim or read fast enough to digest what I need? I'm not so sure.

My blogging has been sporadic at best. What was once two or three posts per week has dwindled to once a week--sometimes not even that.

In February I joined a writing accountability group. That lead to some marvelous (and daunting) things, such as: 


  • I hired an editor (Margo Dill) who gave me spot-on advice and a couple of pages of suggestions. 
  • I began to completely revise my manuscript--a new beginning, lots of scenes put into a separate file (in case I need them later), a new ending, and lots of scenes in need of being written.
  • Every week I've set small goals (as a part of my accountability group) and most weeks, I've achieved my goal.
  • While doing my research, I've found a map of the area, along with a timeline of the event. This is helping me tell my story. (It's historical fiction.)
I like my new beginning better than the old one, and the new ending excites me. However, what began as a (finished, I thought) 30,000-word story is now at 18,000. To be completely accurate, some of my scenes in the old version are going to be able to be woven into the new draft, but a lot of new words need to be put down as well.

More than half the year--my "accountability" year, that is--is gone... which is why I've decided to take a break from blogging for a while. 

That doesn't mean I won't be dropping by and reading blogs... but I might not comment very often. If you (my 1.3 readers) are itchin' to read something from me on the blogosphere, I'll still be posting once or twice a month on The Muffin.

So here is the last book blurb for a while...


Hondo and Bambito

It was friendship at first sight. The moment Hondo saw Bambito skitter across his back yard, he knew the fawn was going to be a barrel of fun.

Bambito was petrified at first, and froze when the leggy hound dog came galloping up but it was soon clear--these two were destined to be best friends.

They romped across the grass. They leaped up in joy. They chased each other. They raced across the field. Hondo yipped and Bambito twitched her tail.

And even though the hound was twice as big as the tiny fawn, he was always careful to not play too roughly. After all, Bambito's legs were thin as pencils. She was just a baby.

But in a few months the tables would be turned. Hondo was not going to grow any more, but Bambito was soon going to be huge. Will they remain friends? (147 words)

Hey, who knows? Perhaps when I return to posting, perhaps my manuscript will be a finished 2nd draft...

8 comments:

  1. Less than a month!!! Oh, wait. I don't have to worry about that anymore. My mom used to remind me, though, on every phone conversation, once July started.

    I think Hondo and Bambito will remain friends, because Hondo won't want to upset his now-strong-legged friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You have a lot of work ahead of you! I'll miss the blurbs and look forward to their return.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Say it ain't so, Sioux. Don;t leave blogging all together. Come back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm itching to know what you're up to in Tulsa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You go, girl! Get that book written.

    www.patwahler.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, you're leaving just as I'm coming back. But taking a blogging break is a good idea to recharge your batteries. Will be eagerly awaiting your return! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you're still working on your book and I want to read it when you are finished revising... please! Good luck with the new school year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice post really ! I apperciate your blog Thanks for sharing,keep sharing more blogs.

    ดูหนัง

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...