The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Saturday, November 24, 2018

I'm Baaack!

I'm a writer. It's been three months and one day since I last posted. What have I done in that three months?


  • I did the normal stuff. You know, I worked. It was an incredible beginning of a school year, and the unbelievable qualities continue. 
  • I went to an authors' event and got to chat with Pat Wahler about her compelling book I am Mrs. Jesse James. Reading how artfully she wrote about that era made me second-guess my own writing. After all, she sucked me in so thoroughly, I began to think of her book as nonfiction instead of historical fiction. The events all seemed true. The characters all seemed to have existed in that time period. Will readers think the same thing when they read my story? I certainly hope so...
  • I led and participated in a writing retreat in early November. Two days of BIC ensured that I was able to go through my entire manuscript and read it (quietly) to myself, painstakingly going over it word by word and line by line. (Below is one page of it. Some of the them had so many red marks and words scratched out and then changed, later, I could barely keep track of them.)
  • I've almost finished my manuscript. It's at 47,863 words. There's a couple of bits I want to insert--a thread here and there--but otherwise, it's done and I do mean done. It's been in the oven for two years and finally, I can hear the impending ding! indicating it's risen enough and is set in the middle and the top is no longer jiggly.
  • I've written several posts for The Muffin but my most recent one debuted today. If you'd like to see what I have to say about revising, check out my post.
  • I got the courage to ask Margo Dill to edit my manuscript. Again. My goal is to finish twerking tweaking it by the end of November and so that in December, I can deliver the fire starter manuscript to Margo.



I've read lots of posts, but I'm sure I've missed some newsworthy tidbits while I've been absent from the blogosphere so I'm wondering: What exciting or important things have happened to you in the last three months?

The inquiring mind of Sioux wants to know.




12 comments:

  1. I must honestly say that I enjoy a wiggly top now and then! Congratulations on being done. Have you been stuck with a fork just to be sure?
    Kidding aside, it is wonderful that you are back all accomplished and everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jono--I am sure the occasional wiggly top IS appealing to you. ;)

      Delete
  2. I am writing my first book! I was contacted a few months ago and made an offer that I couldn't refuse. Hopefully it will be published next year! I didn't realize how hard writing really was even though I'm loving every minute of it. Having someone read it and require edits is worse than turning in a paper to the professor for a grade! I'm so full of doubts and feel so vulnerable! But it is also exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat--That is super exciting. Congratulations. Is it a knitting book, an education book or a travel book? (You're an expert on all three.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whew! At least we know you haven't been locked up! Or trapped with your head caught in a faculty restroom sink. Congrats on your manuscript progress.

    Nothing exciting or important has happened to me in the past three months. So really, you didn't miss anything at this end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val--Thanks. Yes, I managed to keep myself from getting trapped in a bathroom during the last few months, which allowed me to get lots of words down. Are they good words? THAT remains to be seen.

      Oh, your life with Hick is always exciting--there's never a dull moment. I'm sure I missed many interesting tidbits...

      Delete
  5. Welcome back, Sioux, and thanks for your kind words. :-)

    I am so excited to learn you're finishing your manuscript. That is such an amazing accomplishment. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat--Thank you. We'll see how "amazing" it is once Margo looks at it. It might only be an amazing stack of ink-covered paper...

      The words weren't kind. They were merely factual.

      Delete
  6. Yay for you, Sioux! Enjoy the accomplishment! Because while Margo's editing, you'll need to start Book Two. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy--While my students have been doing NaNoWriMo this month, I've been working on my NaNo from 2017. However, I don't have the same confidence in it than I do with my NaNo from 2016. The one from last year is more fiction, and since I'm a pantser to the bone, I'm just meandering along with not much plot stuff going on... or so I think.

      (And Margo's fast, which means I won't have too much time to chew off my fingernails, worrying about how THIS draft is. ;)

      Delete
  7. You've been a busy lady! And I'm so proud of you for all the work on your book. Celebrate!! It's a real accomplishment. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...