The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Friday, August 2, 2019

Back to Work

Next week I officially go back to work. Last week I went in and began working on my classroom. This week, I've done the same. There are still some crates to unpack, along with things to put away.

Along one wall I've attached a long banner that says, "Our greatest heroes are ordinary people doing extraordinary things." On another wall, on the sections of wall space between my six windows, I've hung posters of some of my historical heroes. Jackie Robinson. Abe Lincoln. Mae Jemison. Harriet Tubman. Anne Frank. Barack Obama.


I'm hoping that if my students don't have any heroes, they'll discover some during the school year. 

We'll be writing research papers, creating movies, and interviewing senior citizens. (My school is right next door to a senior complex.)

Who are some of your historical figures? 

13 comments:

  1. I'm not gonna lie. History was my least favorite subject. I'm sure you could have changed my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val--Really? It ranked below math? For me, math was at the bottom of the barrel... and right next to it was--don't shriek--science.

      Delete
    2. Math is like a puzzle. Step by step, plug in the numbers and get it done. Right or wrong. No gray area. I liked math. This might sound crazy, but I felt like I didn't really have to THINK about it.

      Delete
    3. Yes, math is a puzzle. And I was ALWAYS missing some of the pieces.

      Delete
  2. I'm kinda fond of those fierce women leaders...Boudica, Cleopatra, Joan of Arc. Some interesting and smart--and terribly fierce--she-storical figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy--I was crazy about Joan of Arc when I was a kid... thought I could become a saint (I had the same haircut as her).

      I love "she-storical."

      Boudica I don't know. I guess I'm going to have to google her. ;)

      Delete
  3. I liked Abe Lincoln and everything he stood for. I didn't get into history when I was in school. However, if my teachers had the class dress up and act things out like they do in drama class (I loved my drama class), I probably would have got into it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I left the comment above about Abe Lincoln, history class, and drama class, but it shows me as unknown. I am Connie Koehler. I will look into why my name isn't showing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie--Thanks for stopping by. I think one of the phenomenal things about Lincoln was the heartache and the obstacles and the rejection he faced... and yet he still persevered.

      Technology. It's not always a fun thing. (By the way, I found out my website is only on a free-trial basis, which is why I couldn't create a newsletter and so on. I plan on taking care of that sometime this month.)

      Delete
  5. Math and then history were my least favorite subjects. When kids participate and act out these characters they are eager to learn. I love the banner about ordinary people doing extraordinary things. Post students' ideas and photos in action?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharing my students' work? That's a great idea. Thanks, Linda.

      Delete
  6. The excitement of a new school year! I remember...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Math and I didn't add up. Wait, I did like geometry - at least it made sense to me. I hope I never have to solve for X again.

    My favorite class in high school was Journalism.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...