The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

True Grit Meets the Coen Brothers

         I was raised with a mother who loved anything with John Wayne.  I think she even loved the movie he did where he was Genghis Khan.  (How whack was that?)  On occasional Saturdays or Sundays there were John Wayne movie marathons.  When that happened, she would take over the television and we'd either have to watch it with her or retreat into our room with a book.  Boooring!

         However, there were a couple of his movies I loved.  The Quiet Man was one.  The fact that it supposedly took place in Ireland, a fiesty red-head costarred in it...Perhaps I enjoyed it in spite of John Wayne.

         True Grit is the other one.  I saw it as soon as it came to the theaters, and even though my mother was next to me, enthralled with John Wayne, I was there to see one of the costars.

photo by One Eyed Z
          Glen  Campbell.

           I know, go figure.  I had graduated from Bobby Sherman and David Cassidy to Glen Campbell.  Or maybe I have the timeline wrong.  Whatever.

          For a while, I had a huge crush on him, and when he died in the movie, I was crushed.  (When he married Tanya Tucker in real life, I was pissed.)  There is an incredible scene where Wayne is against several gunmen and he takes the reins in his mouth, shouts a great phrase and gallops towards them, with a gun in each hand.  Kim Darby is wonderful in it, and Robert Duvall plays a great villain.

photo by Paul Garland

         Recently I've gotten excited about the Coen Brothers' most recent movie--True Grit--which will be released this holiday season.  They have made some of my favorite movies, and I'm intrigued. 

       Apparently Joel and Ethan have an "if-it-ain't-broke, don't-fix-it" philosophy, which is encouraging.  They have changed some of the scenes so it is more consistently from Mattie's perspective but reportedly have not strayed but instead stayed true.

photo by One Eyed Z

           I will be going to the theater in the next two weeks, but I am also interested...

           Who did you have a crush on when you were a kid?  Perhaps it's a crush you'd like to shove under the rug?

1 comment:

  1. My sister and I used to kiss the TV when The Monkeys came on. She loved Peter and I loved Davy. Now I love Coen Brothers, too, but I will try to restrain myself from kissing the movie screen. I hadn't heard about this one--thanks for the heads-up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...