The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Monday, May 2, 2011

I'm Baaack!

        Bless me followers 'cause I've been absent. It's been a week since my last posting...

        A week ago Friday---Earth Day---our planet let us know that it was pissed off at Missouri. Perhaps it's the mess with Proposition B (the one concerning puppy mills; Mother Nature is angry that politicians are overturning what the people voted for). Whatever the reason, we had a tornado that tore through various parts of our suburbs and left behind many destroyed homes, but no lost lives...


photo by modps

       My school lost its roof, along with some windows and other damage. It was deemed uninhabitable for the rest of the schoolyear. So on Easter, instead of looking for colorful eggs among the grass, I was looking through my cluttered classroom to find what I needed to teach, because we were moving to one of the middle schools.

      (OMG!  That tornado did not break my windows, but somehow it left stacks of papers and piles of books on every surface!  How did it do that? It's a mystery...)

      Then I had to pack up my "old" room for the summer---without much notice---and prepare for a substitute teacher, because on Thursday evening I would be flying towards Boston. (I went to National Writing Project's Urban Sites conference. If you're a teacher and want to hang around while I get so effusive, my slobber starts spraying all over the place, email me at sroslawski@yahoo.com and I will be glad to tell you all about the group. It's just as exciting as skydiving---which I've done three times---but without the possibility of getting killed.)

      ("Dear Sub---If Sean says he has a nosebleed and wants to go to the nurse, do NOT let him. He has been digging in his nose. Tell him to STOP digging.")

        While I was out of town---temporarily torn away from my umbloggical cord---I missed posting, and I missed reading many posts. I fell in love with scallops--the small bay ones---and read a great book, which I'll talk about later this week.

         But now I'm back...  

9 comments:

  1. Hi Sioux,
    Welcome back. I missed your posts.
    So sorry about your classroom. Hope you had a blast in beantown.
    Donna V.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're back! I missed ya, too! And I LOVE your new phrase: umbloggical cord!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back, I'm glad no one was hurt. This weather has been awful. I live in Colorado and it's snowing today. Happy blogging. =)


    Poetry, Quotes and Book Reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to see you back! Sorry to hear about the school, I can only imagine how disruptive the move has been for everybody.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If I were a dog, I would say, "Welcome back, Sioux!!!" But I am a cat, and so I have to work up to forgiving you for the absence. Rowwwrrr.

    Don't have any more tornados!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, sounds like you've been busy. Glad all is safe. I've not been blogging much and have been way behind, but don't have the excuse of a tornado since it didn't hit this area. I was out of town for a bit which put me way behind. Sounds like the conference you went to was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So, you were off galavanting. Glad you're back. Drop me an email. Would love to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry to hear about your school!! "Umbloggical cord." SNORT!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry about your school but I'm happy you are safe!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...