The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Thursday, May 14, 2015

It's All Fodder

      This past Sunday my daughter, granddaughter and I traveled 3 hours (each way) to Kirksville to see my son. He's in med school there.

       I've written a number of stories about "Da Boy" some of which have been published in various anthologies.

        With our son, there is no shortage of stories...

        We got to enjoy a late lunch/early dinner at Macon's best restaurant and meet his girlfriend. Over the meal, we entertained her with retelling some of his antics.

        For instance:


  • My boy took advantage of a "special" senior skip day--in the fall--that was held for just his friends. He expected me to believe him.
  • Our son refused to get his hair cut or use a hair net for marching band. His hair was too long to be hidden under his hat. His solution: have the girls in the marching band put his hair into dozens of tiny pigtails, using pink and purple and green rubber bands. To make the matter even more comical, this was during marching band camp, and it was also the day that yearbook pictures were being taken. In the yearbook is a portrait of our boy looking quite, uh, unusual... 
  • Our child, so excited that it was almost the end of his junior year of high school (on the second-to-last day before summer break), turned himself into a human bowling ball and slid across the cafeteria. He slammed into a garbage can, causing it to tip over. He got suspended--the end of the school year came quicker than he had originally thought--and had to take some finals early.
       And there was the time when we had to rent a Speedo swimsuit for him while in France. He was under the impression we had bought the suit--new--for him to wear, since it was required for the water park. Ooops. That was one of the many stories I didn't have time to tell. It'll have to wait until next time...

McDonald's was NOT where we dined. We ate at AJ's, but I had to turn
so the sun was at my back when I took the photo... and there are the golden arches
filling up the background. What an incredible photographer I am... ;)


       When you have kids, you not only get gray hair and wrinkles and an ever-increasing waistline because of them and an addiction to chocolate, you also get fodder for stories.

        How do your kids react when you tell (or write) stories about them? A talkative mom wants to know.

25 comments:

  1. I don't. I keep His Royal Awesomeness out of my writing. He cannot be improved upon! (Biased? Moi?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shay--You're as unbiased about your son--I imagine--as you are about Skittles. ;)

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't have a blog if it wasn't for the great stories of my kids. I have been blessed with four...enough fodder for a very long time! Great looking couple!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NoExcuses--Yes, our families provide us with an endless supply of stories. And thanks.

      Delete
  3. I tell them they signed a waiver while I was changing their stinky diapers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joeh--We should get some perks from all that poop.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like your raised Da Boy well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joeh--He's turned out well in spite of us, I sometimes think...

      Delete
  5. She must be good for him. He's wearing a shirt. As far as the picture, all I can say is, "What, no Hamburglar?"

    Of course I write the pants off my kids. One doesn't care, much in the way he really doesn't care about helping people...and the other LOVES to be the subject of my stories, and corrects every minute detail if I get it wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val--I know! This is a rare sighting of my son with a shirt on. ;)

      Delete
  6. Your son sounds like a hoot, just like his mama. I bet he's a blast to hang out with.

    My kids don't mind when I write stories about them, probably because I've been writing stuff forever. Sometimes their night-night stories were stories made up on the spot about them---one I remember was about my daughter Christina chasing a balloon all over town. The story was that she let go of a helium balloon, and then we had fun making up all the things she saw while running around trying to catch the balloon. Anyway, they're all pretty used to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lisa--I know you have lots of other (bigger) things on your plate right now, but that story sounds like one that should be made into a picture book--if only for your future grandkids. Think about it...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Of COURSE I write about the Junior Halls. (And they, of course, have no idea--that would require them to 1. Notice that their Momma wrote something and 2. Read the something she wrote. Way too much for the Juniors to tackle. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy--That means you can "embellish" and augment the stories (AKA telling tall tales) and you won't have to battle them.

      Delete
  9. These are two handsome people! Hope they are always smiling!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice looking couple. Of course I write about my kids, and yes I share some sensitive details. They'll never know, because they don't read my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I write about my kids sometimes, and it seems like when I do, they don't like it, and when I don't, they wonder why!!! Typical response for moms, can't win!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary--We're damned if we do and damned if we don't.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sons. Mine was/is a collection of unwritten shorts to be told. He likes it (mostly) when I use him and will suggest other times he did something story worthy. Daughter is much more private and skirts the issue, but also jealous when I don't use her as often. Now as adults they are much less forthcoming. Wonder why?

    ReplyDelete
  14. My kids show absolutely no interest in my writing, even when it's about them. I used to feel a little slighted until I realized I never saw my mother as a real human being at that age - only as my mother. I think your handsome son sounds like he will make the very best kind of doctor. So many of them have the science down, but not the art. He sounds artful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. My kids groan over being the subject for one of my stories. Maybe someday they'll be happy about it???

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
  16. My kids groan over being the subject for one of my stories. Maybe someday they'll be happy about it???

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...