The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Monday, May 11, 2015

The Need for Speed

        A few weeks ago I was heading to the airport. It wasn't even the crack of chicken yet. I had a 6 a.m. flight, and was told to get there 90 minutes before the flight, so there I was, on a mostly empty highway a little before 4:30 in the morning.

        Fortunately, I had just gotten onto the highway not even a minute earlier. Otherwise, I might have gotten to an even faster speed. Unfortunately Bruno Mars and "Uptown Funk" had just come on the radio. My right foot mashed down on the accelerator as I danced in my seat and rocked my head back and forth to the insanely contagious beat.

        Were those disco lights, to add to mood? No, they were a police car's flashing lights. While talking to me, the officer saw my suitcase, asked me if I was worried about missing my flight (as he tried to figure out why I was going 78 in a 60). No, I wasn't worried about getting to the airport too late, I told him honestly, but I also didn't tell him the whole truth.

        "Officer, a really good song came on--Uptown Funk--and I couldn't help myself."

         Now when "smoother than a fresh dry Skippy" comes on, my foot instinctively eases off the gas pedal.

         What song makes you groove (and possibly speed) when you're driving? A woman who's $86 poorer wants to know...

         

14 comments:

  1. 'Cause Uptown Funk gon' give it to you. (Don't believe me just watch--)

    (Sorry about the ticket. Mister Man has Sirius Radio on his car--that's like music crack to a couple old radio people like us. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy--The officer at least only wrote it for 70 mph instead of 78. That was nice of him...

      Delete
  2. I play it safe and listen to talk radio...well occasionally I play an old Hendrix cd, that could get me in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joeh--Yeah, Hendrix could make me speed up too. Talk radio would put me to sleep, which might also be problematic when I'm driving.

      Delete
  3. That's a tough one. I asked my faithful back-seat rider. "Hey, Pony! What song makes me drive fast?"

    "Um. All of them?"

    Thank you. We'll be here all week.

    I hope you don't mean from this century. Because I, too, have Sirius XM Radio. I might say something like Billy Joel's "We Didn't Start the Fire," or Reunion's "Life is a Rock (But the Radio Rolled Me)." The kind of song where I'm trying to keep up with the lyrics, which apparently my foot thinks will happen if it pushes down harder on the accelerator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val--I am the same. A heavier foot means more brain cells being put to work?

      Delete
  4. I'm hopelessly addicted to Maroon 5. I. Don't.Know.Why. The songs are just so dang catchy, you know? "Animals" and their latest, "Sugar" are the two that I crank up wail on. Pop tart nonsense at its finest, and I just love it. I also like "All About That Bass" which my husband and daughter detest, but I clap my hands and giggle like a 5-year-old when it comes on. I like other music, too---you know, the good stuff, old fashioned rock & roll, but when it comes to catchy? I'm a pop-a-holic. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa--Maroon 5's "Moves Like Jagger" and "Animals" get me racing, too... especially the howl at the end of "Animals." (I love Meghan Trainor's newest "Dear Future Husband" especially the line about them arguing when she's wrong (she's never wrong). If you haven't heard it (or "If Your Lips are Movin'" which is her 2nd hit), check it out.

      Delete
  5. Oh Sioux you could have spun such a fantastic story for that cop and no doubt wove him into your web. He didn't give you a sobriety test, did he? Shake It Up or Old Time Rock and Roll, and I will take both hands off the steering wheel and bebop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda--I think he was going to make me take a sanity test, so I didn't push it...

      Delete
  6. I do the same thing, but it's usually a show tune. How the heck music makes me press harder on the accelerator is something I'll never understand.

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat--You must be more musical than me, because I would sound awful singing along to show tunes. However, I also sound horrible singing along with Bruno Mars, so I guess I can't win no matter what is on the radio...

      Delete
  7. I'm a hard rock fan, so almost anything from the 70s. And lately Modest Mouse's "Lampshades on Fire" makes me tap my brake light wildly. Sorry about your ticket. I was hoping you were going to say the cop was an "Uptown Funk" fan, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that song too! I also like the "Love that Bass" song.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...