The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Tuesday, December 6, 2016

The Power of Zen(tangle)

        I am quite fond of taking breaks. When I write, I take lots of little time-offs. It helps me keep the writing flowing.

        Drinking lots of water ensures I take breaks. The bladder fills. The bladder has to be emptied.

       I also take reading breaks. If I go to a writing retreat, where I'm writing for 2-3 days, I'll occasionally stop and read for 20 minutes. The inspiration well runs low, so it gets replenished.

       Doodling is also what I do during breaks. Zentangle is a methodical way of doodling, and when I need to take a longer break (like an hour or so) I might work on some zentangling. For example, I might work on zentangling some notecards or some other project. As I'm drawing the straight lines, the curved lines, as I'm filling in some of the spaces with a black marker, I get more relaxed and my mind goes blank...





         ... and when my mind goes blank, new ideas for whatever my WIP is can come creeping in.

          If you're interested, just google "zentangle" and you'll be deluged by hundreds and hundreds of pattern ideas. There's books you can buy as well. And if you think 'I can't draw, so I can't zentangle,' you're wrong.

         If you can draw a (semi) straight line. If you can draw a curvy line. If you can draw dots. If you can draw more-or-less round circles... you can zentangle. And if you try it, you just might find it's a way to open up your mind for more difficult artistic endeavors... like writing.

       Do you take breaks from your writing? And if you do, what do you do during your breaks? Doodling minds want to know.

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for letting me know about Zentangle. I'd never heard of it before. As far as doodling; I wish I could draw, but that's a skill that has escaped me. My writing breaks usually involve standing, stretching, and walking--to the bathroom for a potty break or the refrigerator to see if there's inspiration lurking behind the milk carton. And sometimes it's to let the dog outside or take him for a walk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always been a doodler, so Zentangle would come naturally. I think it is relaxing, allows you to drift to your quiet place and escape. I once read a study on those who doodle curved lines as opposed to straight lines. I am curvy...in more ways than one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a tangled Zen you weave! What talents remain up your sleeve?

    Actually, I take a break from my BREAKS by doing a little writing. If I need relief during those respites, I work online crossword puzzles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val--Such a poet you might be
      If your own talent you did see...

      Delete
  4. Oh, absolutely I take breaks, Sioux! My back needs a break from sitting/writing so like you, I'll drink my cuppa and head to the bathroom, wash a load of clothes. And when my mind needs a break, I'll read. Outside, if it's warm enough. (I'm less apt to fall asleep if I'm outside!) And if I REALLY need to figure something out, I take a nice, long bath. Showers are good for instant inspiration but a bath? Divine! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard of this! (The zentangle, not the breaks.) I do take breaks, more than I used to because my body demands it now that I'm...*cough*...older. I'm a doodler, usually geometric stuff, so I'll definitely check out the zentangle. It sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa--I've seen many pictures of you. You're not getting older, you're getting better... just like a fine wine.

      Delete
  6. Love your Zentangles! I bought a coloring book about a year ago and have only completed two pages. Guess I'm not using it as much as I thought I would. Reading is always good for taking a break, as is walking around a bit when that old lower hip starts sassing me.

    Pat
    www.patwahler.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pat--My knee, your hip--they're a smart-alecky pair.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like Val, I take breaks to write. Otherwise I play Sudoku and Free Cell with a little Solitaire. And I do love to color elaborate designs with my pens and metallics. Currently I'm deep into dragonflies ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcia--Since I cannot draw--only doodle--I am not even going to attempt a dragonfly.

      Metallics, huh? I'm so NOT an artist, I don't even know what those are.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...