The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Monday, March 4, 2019

Slice of Life Day # 4: Agents, Rejections and Queries... Oh My!

I'm a Butt Kicker. I also get my butt kicked.

Let me explain. I belong to a writing accountability group. We began a little over a year ago--we wrote some large, year-long goals and then every week, we set some goals. Some weeks we achieve what we intend... and then some. Other weeks, we stumble. And we do all of this via Dropbox, because we're scattered all over the world. (One of us lives in Australia.)

Now we're in our 2nd year. The first year, we called ourselves Persistent Pencil Pushers. This year, we're feeling sassier, and call our group Butt-Kickers because that's what we do: we nudge and encourage and push each other to keep writing, keep submitting and keep querying.

I've got a manuscript that I wrote for NaNoWriMo 2016. I spent a year writing it. Then I spent the next year revising it slashing and burning most of it and then beginning from scratch.

My weekly goal is to do 2 submission-y or query-y things. (Don't you love those specific writerly terms?) I queried 3 agents yesterday, which means that now 10 agents have my query letter and the first 5-30 pages (whatever amount they wanted). I researched and copied and pasted while binge-watching a show a friend recommended. (Thanks, Tracy. It not only had Nicky in it, it also had Daya and Wes Driscoll. I thoroughly enjoyed it.) 


I drank two bottles of this cider on Sunday--it's from Aldi's and is delicious.


I've already been rejected by one. I printed that email off, and plan to collect rejection notices until I get a resounding yes from someone.

Writers. We're strange creatures. If we make our goals public, we tend to be more vigilant with them. And we revel in getting rejected, because that means we're submitting...

(And here's a picture of my handsome blonde boy. While I was binge-ing, sipping and submitting, he was romping in the snow.)




15 comments:

  1. So happy you're committed to querying and submitting until you get that YES, Sioux. It will happen. And your blonde boy is gorgeous, snow and all. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa--Thanks for your confidence. Comments like that keep me buoyed.

      Delete
  2. It's good to see that you've found a magical elixir of your own! I wouldn't trade my 44 oz Diet Coke for it, but I'm sure it's tasty, and will hydrate you while you're kicking butt! Make sure to allow yourself a short break every now and then. Radar needs a romping buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always in awe by your drive and all the writing experiences you have! I loved when I found out Stephen King placed all his rejection letters through a nail he had sticking out of the wall. I have no doubt that while you continue to kick butt, you'll also think of something crafty and clever to do with those rejections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz--That's a brilliant idea. I wonder. Does Pinterest have any projects that would be perfect with rejection emails decoupaged all over it?

      Delete
  4. Your fork creation comes to mind...maybe some modern art is in order with your rejection letters? You're an awesome writer, and I can't wait to celebrate with you when you get your YES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie--Thank you so much. Between you and Liz, I think I have an idea, involving a canvas, my rejection emails... and my forks.

      Delete
  5. "And we revel in getting rejected, because that means we're submitting..." I need to print this out and hang it on my wall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsey--It's true. It's the writer's version of, "No pain, no gain."

      Delete
  6. I had to stop myself from actually Pinteresting an idea. lol.

    Having a writer accountability group sounds fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fatemeh--This group was responsible for me finishing a manuscript...for having the determination to get it edited... for having the perseverance to scrapping over 20,000 words and starting from scratch.

      Delete
  7. I place all my rejections in file 13, same place the editor tosses my submission. The reason I do not collect rejections is I do not hold on to negativity. Congrats on your writing prowess these days. You are going like gangbusters in Crocs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a brutal game now because the numbers of subs keep growing. So agents post a "no response in 6 months means no" and interns decide what the agents see...honestly, a personal rejection is kind of a positive. :-) (Hang in there!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well now I definitely have to try cider.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...