The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Friday, March 8, 2019

Slice of Life Day # 8: Hairy Noon and Night



The inspiration for this post came to me when I was watching something new on TV. (No How to Get Away With Murder. A bit ticked off.) This actress had a gorgeous uneven cascade of curls... and I thought of my love and hate relationship with my own hair.

In an instant, I traveled back to when I six. I wore a pixie cut. (That was my coiffure choice until I was 12. I went through a Joan of Arc phase. Seriously.) As a teen, I wore it straight, long and parted down the middle. I've had short perms (and since I dyed my hair red--even then--I looked like Corky the Clown), and long ones. My uncooperative and naturally-the-color-of-rat-fur hair has been French-braided, shagged, and pulled up with a clip over the years. Although my hair's rarely even slightly stylish, I've resigned myself to it. It covers my head-wrinkles and prevents my scalp from getting sunburned.




... And yet I still have hair envy when I pass by someone on the street whose hair is so spectacular, I drool.

My trip down memory lane made me think of the musical Hair. One line from the title song came to mind:

I'm hairy noon and night, hair that's a fright.

Yes, even though my hair is short, it's a hot mess in the morning after I've tossed and turned and repeatedly cork-screwed my head into my pillow, but that's not what I want to end with.

Fellow women: You're thirty something. Forty something. Your hair is gorgeous. You love it. But I promise--it'll turn on you. Sometime around the time you cross the 50-year mark, you'll get to the "hairy noon and night" phase of your life. You'll grow a mustache that likes nothing better than showing itself... until you get the Nair out. Then the hairs go into hiding. Your eyebrows will grow as bushy (and white) as Andy Rooney's. And sometimes that mustache gets so brazen, hairs start sprouting out of your chin.

Yeah. I can't get both sides of my hair to lay right, but I do have my mustache relatively tamed... most of the time. 




4 comments:

  1. You are so right. Wait till wild hairs crop up on your big toes. My hair makes me crazy, too. Hairy thought: bald? IO am thankful for this messy mane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My own lovely lady-mullet is quite "breathtaking" when I first get out of bed. Congrats on being a mustache-tamer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had a series of "bad hair days" and this post was just what I needed to laugh it off. I, too have hair naturally-the-color-of-rat-fur though I think my stylist tries to soothe my discontent calling it dish water...dish water that is very dirty! Your history in haircuts was a most excellent slice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha! Like you, my hair has been pixied, braided, messy bunned, permed, colored, and wrestled into not-so-great submission. I'm currently in the pixie grow-out stage (18 months and counting) and have a bob which I HATE, but that's where I'm at. My youngest daughter is getting married next year and I'd like my hair to be long enough to put up in some kind of elegant something or other, but I'm more likely to end up looking like Granny from Beverly Hillbillies. It's a challenge.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...