The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Thursday, April 18, 2019

Mired in ???

I feel like I'm stuck in a tar pit. Not that I have an experience with that horror, but I mired in sticky stuff... stuff that's keeping me from moving forward with my writing.



I recently got a rejection in which the agent brought up the #OwnVoices trend. If you're not familiar, that's the movement pushing for books that focus on LGBT characters be written by someone who identifies as LGBT. A book centering on a person of color? That should be written by a person of color.

As I read and contemplate and seek advice, I wonder: can a white person write a novel with a young African American as the main character? More importantly, can they create a nuanced character with respect and authenticity woven in?

In the next couple of months I'll be figuring out my next steps with my manuscript... and hopefully I can pull myself out of this tar pit very soon. 

11 comments:

  1. I had not heard of the #OurVoices trend. Lately, it seems like our future is destined to be more divisive than our past. In my opinion, the work should be "judged" on its own merits, as if the reader knew nothing of the author's background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val--I wish work would be judged on just its merits as well. However, I also see how crucial it is to do our best to ensure that diverse authors have a platform.

      It's a tough nut to crack...

      Delete
  2. The #OurVoices trend is all over the http://www.manuscriptwishlist.com which, if you haven't visited, is where agents and editors tell writers exactly what they're looking for and how to submit. There are numerous discussions in the RWA forums about #OurVoices also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops. Correction. I believe it is actually #OwnVoices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa--Thanks. I corrected my post. I've actually seen both, but perhaps the people who use #OurVoices are doing so mistakenly, like me. It's certainly an issue that makes for a lively discussion.

      Delete
  4. Never, and I mean NEVER give up on that story. When the time is right...things have to incubate and then suddenly your baby hatches and the world discovers it. I believe it will be published. Rejection, as badly as it wounds, is part of the writing process. Don't give up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda--Thanks. I sooo appreciate you being a beta reader (months ago). I hope the egg starts to crack fairly soon.

      Delete
  5. Just had a chance to stop by, Sioux. Lots to consider with #OwnVoices right now...timing really is everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy--Yes, and as usual, my timing is not good right now. Thanks for your email. I think you may be able to help.

      Delete
  6. I get the reason for #OwnVoices, but I'm sorry. If you have a story to tell and do a good job telling it, why shouldn't you do it? You're writing fiction, not an autobiography. That's like saying you can't write a character who is a space alien unless you're a space alien.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat--I get both sides. I guess my timing is horrible. I'm writing about this on The Muffin on the 25th--a chance for more reflection.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...