The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Packing Up the Old... Headed to the New

Today I'm headed to both my new classroom and my old one. I'm hoping to unload two carloads full of crates and boxes into my new classroom. Then I'm going to clear out (more) stuff from my old classroom, eat lunch (with my "old" colleagues) in the middle of the clutter-fest... followed by boxing up more of my clutter.

As I was clearing out and organizing last week, I threw away a lot of stuff, gave away stuff and packed up stuff. It made me think of the impasse I've reached (recently) as a writer.

I've been plagued with rejections from agents. Several of them were personalized. Two of them praised my writing... my manuscript just doesn't fit their current needs. 

That's the old.

A couple of days ago I began reading the book Dreamland Burning by Jennifer Latham. The format (back and forth between two characters living in two different eras--along with the two storylines--inspired my inner core to budge. I've been stagnant as a writer for a month, mired in self-doubt and despondency.



But no more. Now I'm looking to the new. After my former classroom is cleared out and my report cards are finished, I'm moving forward.

How about you? Are you stuck in the past or are you plodding forward?


8 comments:

  1. That just might be the right approach. Happy sad moments unearth something in us long buried. You are on the right path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm plodding through the past. Can't get motivated to try anything new. While I'm sure you are sad to be leaving your current colleagues, it's always exciting to start anew. And fun to give away stuff rather than pack it up and move it! I'm glad you've found some inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val--Oh, I was supposed to give stuff away, instead of packing up all my old stuff plus the new stuff I had accumulated, and moving it like a pack mule, making so many trips this mule's back is broken?

      Yes, beginning anew is a bit exciting...

      Delete
  3. The passages of life, huh? Good luck to you, moving forward. I like to think I'm doing the same but some days I get stuck on something and sit for a while. I think that's okay, too, Sioux. Goodbyes have their place on the journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy--Sitting there, stuck, is definitely okay as a writer. Or as a woman. Half my writing time is usually spent spinning my wheels...

      Delete
  4. I began cleaning out my cabinet in my work office, and am beginning to tackle our cluttered basement. I do think it's a good idea to make room for the new, which helps open up some space for what comes next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely, move forward, Sioux!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...