The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Blogging...Cheaper Than Therapy

        I spent yesterday evening with my daughter, my granddaughter, and her mother-in-law.  It was delightful; all three of those girls are warm and engaging and intriguing...

       Riley's grandma (I'm grammy) was not sure what a blog was.  Why blog?  What was I getting out of it?

       I began this blog over the summer, when I had some time off.  I wasn't having my voice heard, for a variety of reasons, so I started tapping away on my laptop. 

        It's opened up a whole new world.  There is someone from India whose writing I found and enjoy, thanks to blogging.

       There are a number of writers who are encouraging me and cheering me along, thanks to blogging.

        There are a bunch of teachers who "get it" when we each complain/commiserate about our backs that are breaking yet our spirits have not, thanks to blogging.

        By the way, teachers as well as other writers who have not discovered Robert Brault, check him out. (However, I guess over 60,000 have found him, so I was in the minority until this morning.)  You will laugh, instead of cry.  I have a suspicion he is channeling Aaron Sorkin and Robin Williams and Mark Twain and a whole lot of other brilliant writers/comedians---all that great stuff could not come from one person---but I don't care what the source/inspiration is. It hits the spot.

       Here is one his quotes to end with:

"I was the architect of my dreams but forgot to contract a builder."
                                      ---Robert Brault

       

13 comments:

  1. I agree with your sentiments on blogging, and love the quote. Teachers are way cool...most of them anyhoo...and teaching writing is beyond way cool. My wife is a teacher, my sister lives in St. Louis, and I would love to have you check out my blog when you get a spare moment or two....Peace

    BTW...love your name ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Sioux! And I see that Jeff C. has somehow found you. (He's a cool guy!) AND, I'm really happy you found Robert Brault! What a neat guy he is, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I'm a new follower and it kinda threw me because my blog is called Cheap Therapy...and I read the title and was like, whoa! Anyway, I have to check out this Robert fellow...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sioux,
    Great to discover your blog, and thanks so much for the endorsement. I see that Jennee has been over to my blog, so I have a couple of new friends to become acqainted with.

    smiles,
    rb

    ReplyDelete
  5. You said it, sister! I wouldn't know what I would do without blogging and some of the wonderful folks that have been so supportive :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your gracious comments...I have a science background, although now retired. I do, to some degree, draw on my love of science/nature and to some degree math when I photograph. I am 'self taught' and have been seriously exploring photography for about 2 years. Thanks for the visit...and yes, by all means you may share my blog...Peace

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice to meet you, Sioux, and thanks for stopping by my blog! I agree about blogging; it has been an incredible journey for me. When I started, I had no idea what was waiting - friends, support, info, tips, and more - all great stuff. Off to do some cross training:)
    Have a wonderful week,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have friends from around the world because of my blog. Keep up the good work with your blog and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Sioux...I certainly agree with you that blogging is cheaper than therapy, AND more fun! I've met people from all over the world. I've rejoiced with each new follower. I've loved and continue to love reading so many other blogs! Of course, writing my own is my daily dose of happiness. So keep up the good work on YOUR blog! Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. For me, blogging provides a connection I don't seem to have time for in my day-to-day life. At least, not with the eclectic mix of personalities I've discovered in the blogging world. Sometimes it's hard to explain to people who aren't bloggers, but there are things I honestly don't know how I could have gotten through if it hadn't been for my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jeff--I cannot believe the photos you are able to capture. (Anyone who has not checked out his photography blog, there is a link on my blog--upper right corner--under "Great Sites for Young Writers.")

    Becky, Jennee and Nessa--Yes, blogging has been beneficial in many ways. Connecting to others in unknown ways, making unexpected alliances...It's mind-boggling.

    Janel and Susan--It IS wild, communicating with people all over the world. I've tried twitter, and my interest fizzled. I have never even thought of facebook. However, blogging really fills a void for me.

    Karen--I completely agree with you. My day-to-day life revolves around my teaching; I am in a room with 24 8-year olds all day. My horizons are expanding...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sioux,

    Boy, can I relate to the therapeutic part of blogging! I began mine nearly two years ago, and it has helped me bring everything into focus over time, and to see that I actually did have some happiness during the bad times.

    I look forward to reading more of your posts and hearing about how your school year progresses.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...