The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Meet the Child Who Will Someday Be in Charge of My Bedpan

             I am worried about today's youth...

             Too many parents today enable their children.  They get bent out of shape over inconsequential things (candy taken away by a teacher, the school enforcing the rules) and aren't aggressive advocates when they should be, like when their son or daughter is reading below grade level, or when their child has difficulties managing their anger or when their kids are not learning responsible work habits.

             If children live their childhood being considered the "exception" and thus do not have to follow the rules and and can regularly overstep the parameters, what kind of adult will they become? Are the rules always going to bend for them?  I doubt it...

             These children will grow up to become our leaders. Our business owners.  Our caregivers.



photo by le silly



              I am definitely worried about today's youth...

        

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. When I volunteer at school I can't believe how rude and obnoxious many of the kids are. I'm proud to say that my daughter recently got an award for good citizenship at school. So many parents just aren't willing to take the time to teach their kids how to act responsibly. It's sad and frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is sad. It is even sadder when I hear a child say "thank you" and I ask him to repeat the words because they are so foreign to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It takes a community to raise a child. What can WE do, Sioux?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...