The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Monday, January 13, 2020

Why I Hated Tanya Tucker

When I was young (10) I had a crazy crush on Glen Campbell. Our family had a record or two of his in our cabinet, and when the movie True Grit came out, my mom and I went to see it in the theater. We both were excited. Mom was a John Wayne fan, and I got to see Glen on the big screen.

When his character died, I cried.



Way after my little-girl gush over Glen ended, he had a lengthy affair with Tanya Tucker. Deep in my heart, I knew Glen deserved more than that bleached-blonde hussy. But did I get rabid about it? No. By then, Campbell had been replaced by Cat Stevens, James Taylor and Viggo Mortensen.

Recently I saw a piece on Tanya Tucker. She's still singing, still honest with her craft, and still single. I saw her as an incredibly independent woman who's obviously talented. (She had her first hit single--"Delta Dawn" when she was 13. Thirteen!)

Something Tanya said struck a chord in me. What did that now pink-haired singer say that stuck with me?

Read my post on The Muffin, where I write about one thing that might be needed in order to be successful. (You be the judge.)

10 comments:

  1. The thing I like about Tanya Tucker is that what you see is what you get. She doesn't pretend to be anything fancy.

    True Grit is one of my favorite movies. The acting is not good, but I watch it over and over, quoting the lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember growing up and watching John Wayne movies with my dad. That was the way we bonded. As I grew older, we added James Bond movies to our repetoire. I miss those days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did I miss this at the Muffin? Weighed in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Val--She does indeed seem to be true to herself. And I agree about True Grit. There's something about it that gets to me. But you're right. It ain't the acting.

    Pat--The thought of you watching "The Duke" or James Bond together makes me think of things I did with MY dad. Thanks for that...

    Cathy--Thank you for dropping by. I guess you missed it because you're so busy writing and getting books published in Korea, as well as in other international markets. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Glen. Did you know his sister owned a bar in South County years ago? John Goodman also did. My memory of Glen was the one record we had in Alaska that played over and over on the old fashioned stereo record player.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda--Yes, and did you know that Viggo Mortensen used to live just a couple of hours away, in Jefferson City?

      That's the one that hurts the most...

      Delete
  6. This post brought back memories. I had such a crush on him too! I had his albums and loved his television show-especially when the Smothers Brothers appeared. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat--Oh, the Smothers Brothers. They were gems--a combination of humor and political barbs.

      Delete
  7. Interviewed him a few years ago. Funny guy.
    https://www.providencejournal.com/news/20170809/remembering-glen-campbell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nick--Thanks for the link. I enjoyed reading your interview. It was well-written, and gave me another window into who Glen was.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...