The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Book Blurb Friday...Another Helping

        
           Well, it's time for another dollop of Book Blurb Friday. For those who are new to this weekly writing exercise, go to Lisa Ricard Claro's blog. On Thursday evening, the new photo is "officially" displayed; however, you get to look at the next week's photo all week--it's at the end of the Book Blurb Friday post, so you can work ahead if you want.

        The photo is the book cover. You come up with a title, and a blurb of 150 words or less. (The cutting and slashing you have to do is great practice.)

         Now usually, the photo used is wonderful. This week, the picture is crappy.  But don't drop out!  Next week's photo is out-of-this-world incredible!

         (Sometimes you have to work with manure. It makes you stronger.)

          After you write your blurb, link your blurb to the others via Mr. Linky (on Lisa's site). And don't forget to read the other blurbs and comment on them.

         It's a very worthwhile writing activity. I swear. 

         Here's my blurb this week:



    His Alabaster Beauty

         Every day between 10-3, Roger shuffled through the museum, keeping an eye on the snot-nosed kids, shushing the folks who got loud, making sure nobody touched the statues…that’s what filled up the unexciting string of his days.


        Then one day he felt something stir deep inside. He stopped in his tracks, turned, and stared. Stared with new eyes…

        It was apparent this mam’selle was modest. One hand was ever-vigilant in the attempt to keep her bosom covered up. He’d never thought of it before, but it was sad that a lady would have to do something like that for the rest of her life.

         He stared into her unblinking eyes. He reached out and caressed the outstretched arm. Roger was in love…

         Follow Roger and his marble maiden as he schemes to free her from her pedestal prison and create a life the two of them can share… (148 words)

14 comments:

  1. Sioux, this is either heading to the creepy or the amusing, possibly both. Is Roger a sad old git or someone with magical restorative powers? I don't know but rest assured it was a far from crap photo you supplied - I got a lot of fun from it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! This sounds like that movie Lars and the Real Girl-now I didn't watch it because it creeped me out, but the man ordered a blow up doll and acted as if "it" were real. Now his passion was at least easy to carry around-I think Roger is going to get a sore back! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Roger's been smoking a little something, eh? You made me laugh...I was serious as a judge reading along and then, well...it isn't nice of you to force cream soda out my nose. Love this. You crack me up. "Marble maiden" and "pedestal prison." Hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, interesting but kinda spooky! I'm curious how things will end for Roger and his marble maiden...

    ReplyDelete
  5. VERY good!! You are right up there on the pedestal with Tammy and Lisa! The three of you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would love to read this one and discover whether Roger can release his bedrock babe. Great job, Sioux!

    Pat
    www.critteralley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sue, first, your picture is great, and very intriguing! Your story has many possibilities. The guy sounds like a weirdo to me. What is he going to do with her when he gets her home ... move her from room to room so he can keep staring at her? She must weigh a lot, lol.

    I love the line about the snot nosed kids and filling his unexciting days. Keep writing about it and I'll be back for more!

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like this, because I didn't know where it was going to go. Well done. :)

    Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sioux,very, very interesting. I haven't tried this activity yet, but your blurbs are tempting me to do so. Quite an imagination you have there. I will have to look for "Roger" the next time I'm in a museum.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Does Roger actually work for the museum, or does he just hang out there from 10 'til 3?
    I couldn't help reading your answers for the Stylish Blogger award (well, they were there, at the end of the book blurb part, so I had to) and I got a good giggle out of them.
    Re the accents being hard to understand in The Full Monty, have you ever seen The Commitments? Irish accents are even more difficult, but the movie is even funnier.
    Your book blurb would make a good movie, especially if you throw in some Scottish and Welsh accents for Roger and the kids.
    (And, to cover all the bases, I liked your photograph for this week.)
    -- K

    Kay, Alberta, Canada
    An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kay---I have not seen "The Commitments." Funnier than "Monty" is hard to believe, but I will certainly give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sandra Davies said it all! I didn't know whether to giggle or shudder at Roger caressing his beloved...who, I might add, I thought was a he-statue!?! But then, you should know! I thought it was a great picture, by the way. I really want to know how he's going to free her/him. And what their shared life will be like. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is Roger launched on a hopeless quest or is there magic and mystery in his life? I'll have to read the book to find out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds like it would be a fun read!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...