The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Monday, July 28, 2014

Sioux-on-a-Stick Visits Val

         On Friday I made a pilgrimage. Driving for almost three hours (one way) was worth it, because I was treated with a dee-luxe tour of all the infamous sites that make up Val-land.

      First, we jump-started our blood circulation by wrestling with riding the Gator.  As you can see from the photo, Val did not trust me enough to let me sit in the driver's seat. (That was very wise of Val. Very wise indeed.)




Next, we visited the dead-mouse-smelling post office. Apparently the postal employees had gotten wind that two suspicious characters were on the rampage, because they closed up the post office--early--before we could storm the placeWe got to walk in and take a whiff, but I was unable to interrogate them on what exactly was causing the odor.




By then, we were parched, so we had a spot of tea and some scones...'cause Sioux and Val are such the tea type...Crisp white linens, some violin music in the background and even some watercress sandwiches--what a lovely treat.

Next, the moment I had waited for for years...the chance to actually see the driveway that belongs to Val's mom. It's frowned upon to stare too long at this sacred ground, and furthermore, it's illegal to park on the driveway (unless, of course, you have filled out an application at least six months in advance), so I had to cloak myself in a grass and gravel camouflage suit and bellycrawl onto the property, just so I could snap this photograph. (The driveway is in the background; in the foreground is Sioux-on-a-Stick and Val-in-a-Recliner.)



        Next, we headed to Val's classroom. Unfortunately, the school district security guard was alerted before we could take more than one picture. However, this is a glimpse into her window; the tangle of computer wires that Val and The Pony successfully untangled are just out of view, on the left.


We finished up with more to drink...this time, some elixir from the gods. When the gas station employees got wind that it was one of Val's daily tours ($16.95 for adults and $29.95 for children under 12 because who wants to hang around a bunch of young kids in the summer; a $10 fee for each photo taken with Val-on-a-Recliner is required), they cleared the area so we could take advantage of the photo opp. Most of the time, if two such menacing females would be spied stalking around--suspicious women taking pictures--the police would be alerted. (Actually, we did see a police cruiser at two of the tour sites. I am sure they were not checking out we-who-could-be-terrorists. They were probably there to control the crowds that always create traffic jams when Val makes an appearance in town.)

 

I could not afford the five-figure fee Val charges to take a picture of her basement lair, where all the magic happens. After all, I'm just a poor third grade teacher who has years to go before she sleepsBut bouyed by the precious elixir that flows from that dispenser (a 17-cent discount on the sodas for Val tour members), I headed back on my three-hour trip home...elated and exhausted.


10 comments:

  1. I think you had one great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are the kind of adventures that simply must appear in your next story.

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Your descriptions are spot-on! I feel like I was there. Oh! I WAS there. Yes, a good time was had by all. My report on what I did this summer should be coming up later this week.

    You can thank me later for making a quick getaway and keeping you out of the county jail for being a suspicious character taking pictures of various establishments. I apologize for the man cleaning the post office who took away most of the dead mouse smell. That has never happened before. He must be psychic, shutting down the window AND swabbing the deck right at the time you showed up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fun! Sounds like you had a fabulous time, although I don't see you two as the tea and scones type, And I agree with Pat, you must write about your adventures in a story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tour of Val-land. Good to put a "face" on the town.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sioux, did you see the orb in that photo? You know Val's ghost might have come home with you. If I were you, I'd be careful of things that go bump in the night. Looks like you and Val took the town by storm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's one tour I'd pony up for! Let's organize a caravan. Road Trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun! You are so funny and I'm sure the two of you together was a hoot!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've said it before and I'l say it again -- y'all have too much fun up there! Thanks for sharing your grand adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hahahahahahahaaa! Ha! At first, I was like, LOOK at Sioux-on-a-Stick--and then I realized that Val-on-a-recliner was actually Val ON A RECLINER. Hahahahaa!

    Y'all are pretty ridiculous and I wish I'd been there.

    Now put down the pics-on-a-stick and nobody gets hurt.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...