The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Monday, April 13, 2015

Born Free

        Well, I'm more than old enough to remember the movie "Born Free" when it debuted, but that movie is not what this post is about. (However, I can even sing part of the song, but since I'm fond of anyone who takes the time to read my meanderings, I'll refrain.)

        Yesterday a friend and I drove to Wheaton--a rural town that's in the middle of puppymill country. Four and a half hours each way. (Missouri is the overachiever of states. We're the top meth state and the top puppymill state. At least I think we still can claim those trophies.) We were headed to pick up two puppymill golden retrievers whose "birthday" was 4/12/15--they day they were reborn as family pets.

         On Saturday, the day before, I watched Radar gallop around like a crazy boy--more like a colt than a canine. At least once a day I say, "Up," and he jumps up a little to help me lift him into my lap so we can snuggle. (I know, I know. A dog who weighs almost 80 pounds is not a lap puppy. I just can't help myself.) He has such fun running with the dogs in the house behind us. He so enjoys playing with his squeak ball. And I wondered...

         What if the Amish or other heartless puppymill people got a hold of Radar's mom? If they had, once Radar was born, he might be lived out his life in a run or a cage, with very little human contact. He would not have ever known the thrill of running with Teddy, the shih tzu behind us. He wouldn't get to go for long walks in the park. He wouldn't be invited onto the bed to cuddle. (Actually, most of the time we don't invite him--he just jumps up and makes himself at home.)

             Radar, Ruthie and the no-name-yet puppy (rescued yesterday) are lucky dogs indeed.

           

        

14 comments:

  1. Oh gosh, I am not far from Wheaton. In fact, it is on our way to Roaring River! Yes, hidden in the hills are horendous hazards for hounds and humans. Sickening. Glad you got one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudia--We actually got two out... or many more than two, if you count the fact that the female we got is pregnant. Yes, the hillsides can look lovely, and yet there are horrible things hidden from sight. (And you rescued Biscuit. Biscuit's one lucky dog as well.)

      Delete
  2. The puppy mill situation is so sad. Georgia isn't any better than your home state, I'm afraid---we have a high percentage of kill shelters here. Both of our Lab mixes were rescued from kill shelters just in the nick of time, and they're such sweet creatures it makes my heart hurt whenever I pose the "what if" scenario with them that you did with your adorable Radar. Best not to consider that particular what-might-have-been.

    I don't know if you know, but I have a rescue in each of my books---in the first and second book the dogs are rescued as part of the plot, and in third the rescued cat is already in his forever home. I think it's important to show how these creatures enrich our lives, to show the interaction and appreciation, even in small ways.

    I love that you invite Radar onto your lap. Certainly HE has no clue how much he weighs, only that life is grand when he's in your arms. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa--I didn't know that until I really explored your website. That's a wonderful thing--to be able to sneak in some things (like cat and dog rescue) that you're passionate about.

      And you're right. Radar thinks he's still just a lapful. But then he's a blonde ;)

      Delete
  3. You know that I have the sound of your voice singing Born Free stuck in my head, right?

    We kind of have the opposite problem around my neck of the Missouri woods. The dogs are dumped at the end of gravel roads, because of course somebody there will take care of them, or they will learn to hunt and grow fat on wild game while they run free. But really they stand there and look longingly at cars that pass by, and get thinner and thinner until somebody takes them to the pound...or worse.

    That's how I got my sweet, sweet Juno. And two other dogs, and three cats. It's expensive to live in the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val--Yeah, people think the country is the perfect place to dump a dog--or a litter of cats. Perhaps they've never heard of the word "domesticated"?

      Your mom knew what she was doing when she made sure that YOU got Juno. She's a lucky girl.

      Delete
  4. Both of my dogs were rescue dogs, so it's good to know that for many there is a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary--I firmly believe that rescue dogs know that they have gotten a second chance at life... and they're so grateful for another chance at love.

      Delete
  5. Yep, I'm with Val. I'll be singing Born Free in the shower...um...assuming I take a shower. Anyway, lucky Radar and all the pups who find loving homes because of people like you, Sioux. One person CAN make a difference!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy--If your voice is anything like my voice, I proclaim that we NOT sing a duet ;)

      Yes, one person CAN make a difference... to one dog or one cat at a time.

      Delete
  6. Puppy mills are an abomination. I've seen so many tortured little souls that come from those money-mad operations. My own little Ebony from years ago was a puppy mill rescue and seeing her blossom from a scared little thing to a confident dog who earned her Canine Good Citizen and did pet therapy visits with me was truly inspiring.

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat--I have also seen some puppy mill dogs really blossom. Occasionally they're so scarred that they never get to become a "normal" dog, but at least they get to live as pet instead of a money-maker...

      Delete
  7. I used to have a neighbor who liked to announce, "I paid ONE HUNDRED SEVENTY-FIVE dollars for our Bichon Frise! Maybe I will breed her. Why don't you get that dog of yours groomed, and maybe he would look like something?" The snarky part of me wanted to say "No wonder." Her dog was a poodle mix and didn't get the poodle's intelligence, either. I also sort of wanted to tell her that I grew up attending dog shows and had come to believe that a only a few licensed breeders in the world should be allowed to do their thing, with the rest of us making sure no animals ever had to be put down. I just told her repeatedly that I LIKED my mixed breed's unique looks. Poor woman was as dumb as her "Bichon Frise." I only wish more people got it. Thank you for doing all a person can do to help the situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy--Some of our rescue dogs from Love a Golden took part in the "rescue" part of the show, and did a parade all on their own. Everyone--well, all the people who weren't primping and preening over their show goldens--clapped. The crazy thing--all the show goldens looked alike, and didn't seem to have the personality our rescued goldens had.

      What a dog snob your neighbor was. I'm with you. Some of the characters that come about from different breeds are hilarious, heartwarming and result in the strengths of several different breeds.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...