The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Monday, April 27, 2015

Kill the Word "Never"

           A couple of years ago, I said (and had been saying for a long time) that I would never write a romance story. However, a couple of romance anthologies called out for submissions, I wrote two short stories and one (not my best one, in my opinion) was published.

          I have said (for decades) that fiction is not and has never been my thing. I'm a creative nonfiction type of gal. Memoir is what I like writing. And yet one of the pieces I'm most proud of is a fictional short story about Bigfoot. (I still haven't found a home for it.) Currently, I'm 50,000 words into a fictional manuscript. There are times I feel like saying, "I will never finish this," but I bite my tongue and remain optimistic...

         And even though I know that death is inevitable, I thought we'd never lose Huey. Huey came to us as a foster dog a few years ago. His owners had moved and just left him--a senior dog--to fend for himself. He was always funny about thresholds--he'd do several quick left turn-arounds before coming up the two steps into the kitchen--and in fact when he first came to us, we'd have to lift him into the house, because he'd refuse to cross the threshold.


This is Huey when we first got him.


        When Teddy (the little dog who lives behind us) would be out running the perimeter of his yard, Huey galloped (as much as an old guy can gallop) and tried to join in the fun. Huey was always in the mood for getting petted. At times he was a grumpy old man, but he earned it. After all, he was just shy of being sixteen years old.

        Last week I got up and Huey couldn't get up. His hind legs could no longer move. We made an appointment for that evening. He was fed lots of treats, he got to take a last ride in the car as he savored the smells--the windows down and the wind blowing his ears back--and he was put out of his pain.

        Here's a picture of Huey on his last day:




         So, the first two nevers I should do without. Perhaps I'll write another romance (but probably not, as I'm not very good at it). I'm sure that I will write more fiction and am determined to finish my manuscript. However, there is one never I am going to hang onto.

          I will never forget Huey...



34 comments:

  1. Oh Sioux what a heart wrenching post. It is so sad to say goodbye to our fur babies. You gave Huey a lovely send off. Sorry for your loss. Now write a story about him...and his girlfriend. That could be a love story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breaks my heart. Sorry you had to lose your fella but glad Radar will be there to help you with this. We know it will come but are never prepared really. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudia--Yes, the ones we still have with us make it easier. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. Those Goldens can never have enough petting! What a sweetheart. Never lose those memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joeh--Yes, they ARE quite needy (but people say I am, too).

      Delete
  4. Sioux, I'm so sorry. It's the hardest decision a pet owner has to make. Making the decision is hard enough, carrying it out is worse. Hang on to your wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy--Thanks for stopping by. It's the hardest thing to do, but if we let them continue a miserable life, that would be worse.

      Delete
  5. I'm so very sorry for your loss of a family member. They become even dearer when they're old, I think. Dogs are just the best.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shay--Thank you. Yes, dogs are the best. (By the way, how is Skittles?)

      Delete
  6. So sad for you, but not for him. He was surrounded by love. You have your memories and your pictures to help you never forget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val--Yes, Huey had a great life. Kind of like your sweet, sweet Juno...

      Delete
  7. Poor sweet baby. You made his final years happy and filled them with love. Who can ask for more than that?

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a lovely tribute! So sorry for your loss. You made his life matter and I'm sure he appreciated every moment (and pet)! Thank you for sharing Huey with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NoExcuses--Thanks for your kind words. Huey was one big lovebug.

      Delete
  9. I'm so sorry for your loss! I hope the good memories you have of Huey help you though the tough times when you are missing him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat--Thanks. He certainly found a place in our hearts.

      Delete
  10. Well, that had me a bit choked up. So sorry, Sioux.

    (As for the romance, I don't think I'd ever write one, either...but I learned a long time ago to never say never...:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy--Yeah, I guess neither one of us are the romance-writer types. However, this one romance novel I'm looking forward to reading when it's published this Spring. Can you guess which one? ;)

      Delete
  11. Oh, Sioux, I am so sorry. Just a week or so ago, a wise woman comforted me this way when we lost Catsby: "It is heartbreaking when we lose a pet. Especially when we didn't have them to love for very long. But cats (and dogs) are able to expand and inflate that love that they get from us, so for them, it seems like for their whole life they were loved by us."~Sioux Roslawski

    ReplyDelete
  12. So very sorry for the loss of your sweet old guy. It is the hardest thing to do, take that last trip to the vet, but it is a compassionate thing, as well. I can't bear the thought of any of mine living in pain. I have a quote on my favorite picture of my collie, Sarge. He is doing his favorite activity, riding the jet ski, sitting in front of my husband, the wind blowing in his face. He looks like he is laughing, there with his paws on the handles. It says, "I heard someone define heaven once, as a place where, when you get there, all the dogs you ever loved run to greet you." I hope this is true!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy--I hope heaven is like that, too. Wouldn't that be wonderful? I'm with you--dogs can sometimes tolerate pain--they just buck up and take it and don't give any indication--but it breaks our heart when we find out they're in pain. Thank you. (And perhaps heaven is a place where dogs can go jet ski riding every day...)

      Delete
  13. It is such a loss to your family. I thank you for adopting Huey and giving him a good life, love and health, for as long as he could be with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcia--Losing a pet does take a toll on a family. Huey taught us how important it is to enjoy life. Thanks for your kind thoughts.

      Delete
  14. Ah, Sioux. That was lovely. And what a lucky, lucky dog to have had you there when he needed you!

    Pearl

    p.s. Thank you so much for your kind words the other day. The (continuing) end of a marriage is a sad thing, and I hit rough patches here and there. People like you make it easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pearl--Thanks. And I'm so sorry. I hope the future rough patches lessen and the road ahead is clear of all debris, paved with brand-new concrete (or is it cement?).

      Delete
  15. Oh Sioux, I'm so sorry. I'll expand in a letter :-) - sending you love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn-Thanks. Your letters are always a joy to receive...

      Delete
  16. Oh Sioux, I'm so, so sorry for your loss. I know you gave Huey much love and a wonderful home. It's so hard to lose our faithful companions. Sending hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theresa--Thank you. We did our best, and Huey lived longer than many other goldens. It IS hard to lose our four-legged family members.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...