The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Monday, April 20, 2015

Where is SOAS When I Need Her?

        This weekend I went to New Orleans to present at a national conference. When I got there, I found out Barry Lane was going to be there. Barry Lane! Squeal! Squeal! Shriek in such a high-pitched fashion, only bats can hear. I know--Barry Lane! 

         If you're not a teacher of writing (and probably if you're not specifically a teacher of elementary or middle-school writing), then you might not know who he is, but trust me--to lots of teachers, he is a god.

         Here's a bit of what Barry Lane is like...




      Now, I should have learned from Cathy Hall. Whenever I go to any workshop or conference, I should take Sioux-on-a-Stick, because a person never knows when they're going to be reduced to a drooling groupie and they desperately want their picture with the god/goddess and they never have a good hair day but they have no choice... unless they have their alter ego on a stick.


      Of course, Cathy-on-a-Stick looks lovely. Hair perfectly in place. A blazing-white smile. COAS is attractive, just like the real-life Cathy. And Sioux-on-a-Stick looks very much like the real life Sioux. Except not so lovely as the lovely COAS.



Here is SOAS when she went on Val's tour.
SOAS made a surprise appearance at Val's gas-station chicken spot.



       So, when I found out Barry Lane was going to be part of the program in New Orleans, I felt fortunate I at least had my ipad packed and charged up. No SOAS tucked away in my suitcase, so I had no choice. I'd have to take a selfie to prove to all my writing friends that I got to schmooze a bit with Barry Lane.

I know. I'm blurry. I have a couple more where I'm in focus, but I kind of like
being a blur. And guess who took each of the selfies that I have?  Barry Lane.



      So, when I saw this leprechaun-like man walking ahead of me (leprechaun because he's magical), I pounced. (Thankfully it wasn't the Lucky Charms guy, it was Lane.) Since I just recently figured out how to reverse the camera to take a selfie, Barry Lane ended up taking the pictures. (Most likely he would have done anything to get rid of me, so taking a few photos was easier than chewing his own leg off...)

       Take Cathy Hall's advice so you don't end up like I did. Take your stick version with you to conferences and workshops and concerts. In fact, take your stick version with you no matter where you go. 

      'Cause you never know who you'll run into...
     
 

20 comments:

  1. You photo bomber, you. I'm going to have to finally cave and read "She's Come Undone", too! That's another one that people keep telling me to pick up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shay--Sadly, although it looks like I photobombed, it was a planned selfie. And if you DO read Lamb's novel, let me know what you think of it.

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of this man before. But I LOVED the clip you shared...fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudia--He's a real character. And he's written several books on teaching writing that I use like bibles...

      Delete
  3. I think your photo is better than SOAS. We know you were there. In person. And he touched your phone! It'll be great practice if you ever meet Viggo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, right, that SOAS is spoiling the view of some perfectly good gas station chicken?

    It's amazing how Mr. Barry Lane is able to hold in his fear until after the photo opportunity ends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You Groupie Extraordinaire! I do wish I had had a me-on-a-stick when I met Garrison Keillor. The only pic is of GK looking down and a profile of my hair, as I couldn't look up, let alone look at the camera. GK does not laugh or smile, as he is incredibly shy one-on-one, but is very kind and gracious. I need a me-on-a-stick with hands in the moose antler position too, to ratchet up the fun factor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcia--I didn't know Keillor was that shy. Interesting...

      Delete
  6. Hahahahahaaa! You realize, Sioux, that all of a sudden there will be hundreds of writer-type women, showing up at conferences and such with themselves on a stick and folks'll be all, "What fresh hell is this?"

    But we shall have the last laugh (and good hair days).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy--And that "fresh hell" can all be attributed to you. ;)

      Delete
  7. Ha ha I really thought you photo bombed Barry. Sounds like a fun time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda--It WAS fun and I did a little squealing after I got the pictures. Later, he gave me a couple of free books. It couldn't get much better...

      Delete
  8. lol You always crack me up. For the record, while I do adore COAS, I also adore SOAS. Cathy may be my favorite blonde on a stick, but you are absolutely my favorite red-head on a stick. And I don't say that to just anyone. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa--It's good to know I'm in good company with COAS. Thanks.

      Delete
  9. I love this idea! I know when I met The Fonz at a conference, I was struck dumb. All the others were shaking his hand and I just stood on the side afraid to move. He finally came up to me and said, "You look like you need a hug!" and he hugged me!!! I could have puddled up right then. A POAS would have been great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat--Considering all the workshops and conferences you do (and lead), a POAS would come in handy. (And hugging Fonzie would have thrilled me as well.)

      Delete
  10. It's so much fun when going to a conference gives the opportunity for a serendipitous moment. Looks like you had an awesome one. And in New Orleans, no less. Hope you had time to do some sightseeing, too!

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat--I had the chance to sleep (on Thursday) which was delightful. I got to see a few sights.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...