The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Monday, February 22, 2016

Too Much of a Good Thing?

         I've been toiling away on my WIP. A year or so ago, I was worried I wouldn't have enough wordage. Would anyone buy a book made up of one haiku? (I was pretty sure I could come up with 17 syllables. I know at least Shay would buy it, since she loveslovesloves haikus.) If I got the story finished in 13 pages, could it be called a SS novella--a super-short novella?

         Currently it's closer to 87,000 than 86,000. But just barely closer.




A picture of the first page of  my WIP,
albeit  a bad photo...


          Now, I'm worried about something else.  I claimed I would be able to finish this draft by the end of February. February 2016, that is. 

       That means I only have 9 more days.

       Whoops. February has only 29 days, so I only have 7 more days... and today is almost over.

        I'm also worried because I have a bunch of words/sentences/pages written, and I still haven't gotten to a major part of the story. A big something still has to happen (luckily, I know what the something is) and then a substantial loose thread needs to be taken care of. (I know how that's going to get tied up, too.) 

       So, will this WIP end up long and way-too-drawn-out? 

       Or will I end up sucking on my car's exhaust pipe?

       Time will tell...

14 comments:

  1. Step away from the exhaust pipe! And any other kind of pipe as well.

    I am in no position to give advice. I'm a wordy gal. All I might suggest is...be sure to use plenty of ellipses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're a WORDy gal? I thought you were a WORLDly gal. With all the gas stations and auctions that Hick has opened up to you, the world is your oyster...

      Delete
  2. My first bit of advice is that if the deadline you've set is your own and not an agent/editor/publisher, feel free to adjust it. :) Rather than focusing on the deadline at this stage, maybe just commit to a certain amount of time each day until the work is done. The best way to look at it is that it will be finished when the story reaches an end, not before and not after. And who knows how many words that will entail?

    My personal opinion is that too much emphasis is put on word count and not enough on just telling the story. Forget the word count. Just write until your story is told! If that ends up at 250,000 words, well...then you'll probably kill a lot of darlings. lol You've been an author long enough to know that much will change in the revision/editing stage, so don't worry about the word count or your self-imposed deadline. Screw the deadline. Instead, commit to a specific number of writing minutes per day (and be faithful to them). You'll be surprised how fast that book will be finished. And the main thing? Have fun with the writing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa--I am certainly not new at missing deadlines, skidding to a stop when they've passed me by, and saying, "My bad."

      So, for sure, I think Feb. 29 will be here, and I won't be finished. But miracles DO happen.

      I hope it doesn't take 250,000 words. Isn't that War and Peace length? Yikes.

      Lisa said, "Screw the deadline." I'll do just that.

      Delete
  3. You worry too much. Think of those of us who can barely count to 86 or 87 let alone 87,000!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You drive a Prius! Sucking on the tailpipe won't do anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Write until you feel finished. Then rewrite. I think you have to elaborate. Then you go back and cut. Yay for you for 87,000 words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda--You can cheer now, but later, you know I'm going to ask the WWWPs to read it (again).

      When that happens, just delete the emails and don't answer the phone...

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry, I'm still trying to wrap my head around 87,000 words and still going...Sioux, you amaze me!

    As for the novel, well, you know what they say: It's not the writing, it's the re-writing, and that's a whole 'nother story. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy--Yeah, Lisa told me I could even hit 250,000 and it would be okay. But that only means I'd have to delete over 150,000 because unless I'm James Patterson, no publisher is going to look at a novel that's much longer than 100,000.

      Yes, the rewriting. That's when it gets really fun...

      Delete
  7. Ack, accidentally deleted my comment. Ha.

    I said, if it didn't go through that don't go for the exhaust pipe. It's better to have too many words than not enough as you can always delete. And you can always change that deadline. It's good to have one, but if it needs adjusting, so be it. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn--I just hope that I'll know what parts to delete and which parts to keep...

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...