The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Friday, July 29, 2016

Back-of-the-Book Blurb Friday #19

        Yes, it's odd. It's Friday, and I'm actually not late this week posting Back-of-the-Book Blurb Friday on Friday. Strange, but true.

        Back-of-the-Book Blurb is designed as an exercise in succinctness. Brevity is next to godliness when it comes to "blurbs" on the back cover of a book--sparse bits to entice the reader into buying the book.

       This brilliant exercise was started by Lisa Ricard Claro. Lisa got way too busy with her multi-book publishing deal and had to give up hosting the book blurb activity. At this very moment, she is interviewing aesthetically-pleasing-to-the-eye young men to play in the movie version of her first novel, Love Built to Last. Will Caleb be played by Ryan Gosling? By Kit Harington?    

      Rumors have it that these two young men have been to Lisa for several call-backs. We'll keep you informed.

       And by the way, Lisa's third romance novel, Love to Win, is coming out tomorrow, July 30. I hate romance novels. I despise them. But Lisa's writing and her storylines suck me in every time. So, I'm planning on diving into Love to Win this weekend, because during the previous books in the series, I've learned to care about the characters and the relationships that have formed on the pages. 




       So, here's the scoop if you're playing along this week:

  • Look at the photo below. That is the cover of your book.
  • You choose the genre. Romance? Sci-fi? Contemporary lit? Nonfiction? Poetry anthology? You decide.
  • Write an enticing blurb--150 words or less. (The title doesn't count in the word count.)
  • Include your blurb in a blog post. Include a link to this post.
  • Link your post to Mr. Linky. Mr. Linky is quite easygoing. If you've never done it, you'll be impressed with how simple he is.
  • Check out the other blurb(s). It's interesting to see the different directions writers take, given the same photo.
  • And most importantly, have fun. This is supposed to be enjoyable.
          Here is the photo for this week, and my lame finished blurb:



Trouble Retires... Or Does It?

These two friends have called themselves Thelma and Louise ever since they met. Together, they were trouble with a capital T. Playing practical jokes. Speaking their mind—loudly and often. Refusing to back down when someone did them wrong. Donna and Annie were an explosive combination.

When they went off to college, when they started families of their own, these two women supported each other. When Donna got laid off work, Annie threw her a “pity party” and made all the guests wet their pantyliners with her impromptu “roast.” When Annie's husband ran off with an 18-year old Amway saleswoman, Donna took her out on a “good riddance” bar spree.

But six months ago, they both retired. Now that they have empty hours every day, Annie and Donna are itching for an adventure. Sitting over dinner at a diner, they hatch a plan... and it involves a cross country road trip... (150 words)



         And for those folks who like to work ahead, here is the photo for next Friday.





8 comments:

  1. I didn't plagiarize! Honest! Great minds think alike, I guess...and even end up with the same word count! Though I DID use the hyphen more than my favorite ellipses.

    I hope there is no tattooing involved in this road trip, after all that itching and hatching they're doing in the diner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val--Hyphens are bad. Ellipsis are good.

      "I am going to sue you," said Sioux. "Your story is too close to mine. I smell plagarism. I am going to take you to court, and eventually, I will own Shackytown. And if you're nice to me, I'll put you to work as my tour guide."

      Delete
  2. This was great! I wonder what plan they are hatching! My blurb will be posted on Monday. I'm heading out on a camping trip with no internet so I won't be able to add my name to the list though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat--I will head over to your blog and check out your blurb. I hope your camping trip is fun and full of relaxation and great weather, and thanks, as always, for playing along.

      Delete
  3. Always up for a good road trip. :) And thanks again for the linky-love and fun story to go along. I like the way you think and only wish it were true. There would be many, many call-backs.

    Many.

    Did I mention...many? lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa--Linky-love? That is soooo clever.

      Lisa--I don't write no fiction, so those were the facts. Just the facts, ma'am. If I can't see Kit Harington in the flesh, day after day after day, at least I can know someone who DOES have him at her beck and call.

      Delete
  4. Looks like a restaurant in Ferguson, MO called Kathies Kitchen,

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...