The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

First Jobs

       I've had many jobs. For the past 27 years I've been a teacher. But before that, I've done a variety of things... some fun and some not-so-fun.

      For example, I worked at a pill factory. I was responsible for using a machine to make capsules filled with medicine. I lasted less than a week. Too many of my capsules got dented and had to be thrown away (that fact I succeeded in keeping hidden) and at the end of my employment, I cut the tip of my finger off in the machine (that I could not hide).

     I've been a waitress in several different restaurants. I was so talented at it, I could (accidentally) spill a Bloody Mary onto a businessman with a lot of style.

     I've begged door-to-door for ACORN, a community activist organization.

     Speaking of door-to-door, I've sold pre-arranged funeral plans. I think I lasted two weeks on that job, since I sold not a single, solitary plan.

     My first job, however... I still remember it with fondness. It was a blast in many ways, but unfortunately, worsened an addiction problem I had (and still have). 

     Go here to read about my first job. And tell us all about your first job. We're all curious.

      

10 comments:

  1. Gosh, you've made me think Sioux! My first job was waitressing at a hotel when I was 16. It was a live in position and a terrible job! Really long hours, very hard physical work and very little pay. I lasted the summer but ended up with gladular fever because I was so run down. On the plus side, it was in a beautiful place called Hope Cove in South Devon and my first taste of living away from home. I've just googled it and it's brought back so many memories! I must write about it some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah--You're going to make ME google it after I finish this reply. You never forget your first place that's your own...

      Delete
  2. Door-to-door funeral plan saleswoman? That's a tough one. Though easier than holding the attention of adolescents seven hours a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val--YOU know. There's not much that's tougher than teaching.

      Delete
  3. Great. Now I'm craving a DQ cone. AGAIN.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy--As far as ice cream goes, DQ is not too bad. I think it's more ice MILK than ice CREAM. However, when you squirt on the hot fudge and the sprinkles and the nuts... well, the calorie count goes up a bit. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I decided after one day of bent over filing, working for the board of education for a dollar an hour wasn't the job for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda--I don't blame you. That kind of tedious work can be back-breaking.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sioux, I enjoyed reading your post on the Muffin. It reminded me of my mom, who worked at the St. Charles Dairy during high school. She made (and probably sampled) so many chocolate malts, for the rest of her life, the sight of one made her nauseous. If it would work the same way for me, I need to get a sugar factory job pronto!

    Pat
    www.patwahler.com

    P.S. Is the school that's been funded for another year yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat--I wished I got sick to my stomach at the sight of ice cream and chocolate. If I did, I'd be 100 pounds lighter.

      Yep. That's my school. We are all thrilled.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...