The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Saturday, December 30, 2017

Book Clubs, Birth Certificates and Back-of-the-Book Blurb # 91

I'm telling the truth: I did intend to write this in advance, so I could post it in  a timely manner. But last night (Friday) was my book club meeting, and I was the host. That meant I spent the last couple of days cleaning and cooking. 

One of the things I prepared was a healthy key lime pie. Here is the link. I would recommend the extra bit of honey, and I even made it crustless. (I mixed up the pie filling and spooned it into small glasses.) It was delicious and healthy.

The book? Another Brooklyn by Jacqueline Woodson. We're going to meet in January or February and talk about it.

On January 2 I'm heading to my state capitol to get my original birth certificate. In case you didn't know, when a child is adopted, they get a modified/altered birth certificate. On mine, my parents' name is on it, but not my birth mother's. A law was recently passed in Missouri that allows adoptees to receive their original birth certificate. Part of me hopes my birth father's name is on it, but I doubt it. 

I'm going with my half-sister, so it will be a fun day.

So what is this back-of-the-book blurb stuff? Look at the photo below. That is the cover of your bookYou choose the genre. Is it a coffee table book of fashion trends? Is it a photo collection of mentally-ill patients and their clothing choices? You decide.

        Write an enticing blurb--150 words or less. (The title doesn't count in the word count.) Blurbs are those enticing bits that prod you into buying the book. Sometimes they're on the back cover of the book. Sometimes they're on the inside front cover. What they always try to do is lure you into purchasing the book. 

          Lisa Ricard Claro was the original creator of this writing challenge. She moved to Florida, and is too busy to host a weekly book blurb. Her first romance novel (she has three more), Love Built to Last, just came out as an audio book.  She's quite busy these days. She even has a brand new book out called The Write Man. If you'd like to read my review of The Write Man, you read it here. 
     
          Include your blurb in a blog post. Include a link to this post. Also, link your post to Mr. Linky. Mr. Linky is easy. If you've never done it, you'll be impressed with how simple he is. And then, check out the other blurb(s). It's interesting to see the different directions writers take, given the same photo.

           Here's the book cover, along with my blurb:




Better Than a Yellow Submarine

Orvilene hated her job. Driving those hooligans back and forth to school every day was like driving a huge yellow couch… and on the couch was 50 or 60 circus performers.

Those kids rolled around on the floor. They hung from the emergency door handles in the ceiling. They jumped from seat to seat.

“Sit down.”
“Shut up.”
“Stop throwing things from the windows.”

None of her screaming made a difference. They continued their shenanigans, and every night when Orvilene got home, she’d have a drink. (She wanted to drink on the job, but wisely chose not to.)

But then Orvilene had an idea. She hatched a plan that would cook their goose. She’d use her nestegg to create a new bus… a bus that would challenge even the trapeze artists she transported.

Will the goofballs enjoy the new arena or will they get shocked into behaving the right way? (150 words)


And for those writers Val, who likes to work ahead, here is the photo for next week:





6 comments:

  1. I wish they had buses when I was teaching! I bet that would get the kids in control before they ever got to my class! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat--I agree. Perhaps if those overactive students of ours had the chance to burn off some steam before they came to class, we might have an easier time...

      Delete
  2. Did Orvilene have a song stuck in her head? Perhaps "Seventy-two monkeys swinging in a bus...?"

    I hope your trip to get your original birth certificate is a success. Like you said, it is bound to be a fun day. Enjoy yourself and make the most of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val--Believe it or not, I have a birth relative named Orvilene, and she is a hoot. (I also had one named Marjarine.)

      Thanks. I'm looking forward to the day.

      Delete
  3. That key lime recipe looks divine. It doesn't go with my dieting goals for 2018, but . . .

    Hope your birth certificate search went well and that you enjoyed the time spent with your half-sister.

    Orvilene sounds like a character. I'd like to hear her plans. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm trying to come down from my sugar high, and here you are dangling Key Lime Pie in front of my chubby face! It certainly does sound scrumptious, though.

    Your plan to get your original birth certificate is so cool. Here's hoping it has all the information you want!

    www.patwahler.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...