The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Handling Tension

Okay, to be completely honest, I used to deal with pressure with the "Seefood" diet. You know, see food (brownies, rolls, mashed potatoes), and eat them. These days, I'm trying to mend my ways.



But writers have to deal with tension. If there's no tension, there's nothing interesting happening. If there's no tension, there's nothing to compel the reader to keep reading. So, even though tension is not good for my waistline nonexistent waistline, it is necessary for stories.

In my most recent post at The Muffin, I share one of my favorite David Bowie songs. No, it's not Young American, but that one is a contender.

If you'd like to see David Bowie with huge shoulder pads as he wails out Young American, check this video out.

And if you'd like to find out the book I just finished and am recommending to every person I meet on the street--strangers as well as friends--read my Muffin post.

(It's a whole class on how to handle tension in a novel.)








6 comments:

  1. Your are adept at rolling the most mundane of tasks or everyday objects into an informative post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. I'm learning from other bloggers, like you.

      Delete
  2. How did I not know you're a David Bowie fan? Here I thought it all David Cassidy in your past. lol And now I'm heading to the Muffin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glen Campbell when I was 10 or so. David Cassidy when I was 11. Cat Stevens when I was 12 and 13. David Bowie came much later...

      Delete
  3. Loved your post, Sioux! And I also love your new head shot photo on the Muffin. I may steal the idea since I've decided to embrace my gray, and I'm told getting there is quite a process. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat--Don't follow my example. I wore that scarf when we were rescuing dogs from Chicago. We picked them up at a freight warehouse, and while we waited, I walked up to the airport fence and took some photos of the planes landing and taking off. The scarf around my head. A bulky and long winter coat. I was pointing something (a camera) at the airplanes. Airport security came rolling in, asking who had touched the fence. All my dog rescue friends immediately pointed at me.

      So, in short, perhaps you might not embrace the scarf as much as I did. I almost got arrested. ;)

      (I imagine you will look gorgeous with gray hair. I bet it will be more silvery than gray.)

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...