The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Monday, June 28, 2010

France...A Small Digression

For my next post, I will write about how cool data can be (yes, that phrase dates me; I could have called data "groovy" but I resisted). However, I wanted to explain the photo. Southern France. At foot of the Pyrenees Mountains. After eating a casserole of potatoes, cheese, cream and onion (and of course, wine) we continued down the path toward the circle of mountains.

The southern part of France is my favorite spot on Earth. The habit of savoring every taste, every conversation, every experience...it's relaxing and delightful. Last summer I stayed for a few weeks near Pau, and the memories are still vivid a year later.

Okay, back to data. Enough of "off road" thoughts. I have been reading about data, and studying how to make decisions that are informed because of data; I found a couple of articles I'd like you to check out.

One is found at www2.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=7041

The other is www.microsoft.com/education/ThoughtLeadersDDDM.mspx

During this last month of my summer break, I am going to be working on mapping out my classroom and my thinking, so the students can take ownership of their data. I also want the data to work for me, with a minimum of extra time and a maximum of results. If anyone has any ideas to help me out, please add your comment. Teaching----in a room, alone with just the teacher and the students---is a private endeavor. When others (like you) are welcomed into a colleague's classroom (via your comments and suggestions), powerful collaboration is inevitable. And all of a sudden, I feel rejuvenated and jazzed about the work I do...

Have a great evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...