The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Too Long...

        It's been a while since my last post---at least for me---but this week has been parent-teacher conference week.  That mean long days, late nights, so when I get home, I collapse.

         At the beginning of the week, I was despondent.  One of my student's parent was is quite upset with me.  They have not observed me teaching (not even for five minutes) they are disregarding their child's perceptions (the student knows I care about him) and they wanted their youngster out of my classroom.  Unfortunately, the other 3rd grade classroom is maxed out (capacity-wise) which means the parent---if they really are unhappy with their child's placement---will have to drive to another school every day.  (Tomorrow is the conference with this parent. I am keeping my fingers crossed that I can smooth feathers...)

         Being judged without having the chance to "prove" myself as a concerned, rigorous, and imaginative teacher really caused me to wonder what else was I qualified to do...If they don't change the guidelines, I have 6 more years until I can retire; if I'm going to make parents miserable, I need to make a career change.

           This is what I found I can do when I retire next year (after jotting down my skills):

  • radar-gun tester (Hey, I do speed sometimes most of the time, so perhaps I could find employment with the police, where I race along the highway, and they see if their radar guns are calibrated correctly...)
  • unrhythmic, anti-stripper (I have no dancing ability, but I could be paid to put clothes back on...)
  • earplug tester (If the sounds of my snoring do not penetrate the earplugs, they are highly effective.)
  • Nutella spokesperson  (It's heaven on a spoon.  Or, if you want to eat it in a more socially acceptable way, put some on a croissant.)
         However, tonight I met some parental jewels.  They are the type of parents teachers dream about. They were supportive, funny, involved, and had great attitudes about life and childrearing.  They made me want to not give up...






Thanks!

8 comments:

  1. I have found that when parents lash out at a teacher, it is reflecting more on the parent's weakness as a parent. The teacher is an easy target. It is hard and we do second, third, fouth guess ourselves. You know that you are a great teacher. Keep the jewels (family supporters) in your heart. Take what you can from the non-supporters and "keep on truckin".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bless your heart! It is so difficult when parents truly don't realize you just want the best for their child. I hope you can find the strength to not give up. I gave up, thinking it was just for a while. I wanted to take a hiatus and try something new. I did not realize at the time how hard it would be to go back to teaching little ones and that I was giving up that part of myself forever. Some days I really regret it, especially in the autumn when a new school year begins. But reading of your struggles reminds me how truly challenging it is to be a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I've told you many times already, Sioux, I don't know how you do it! I admire you so much, and I hope, too, that you don't give up. I know that's easy for me to say, because I'm not in your situation, which is so much harder than teaching in a "preppy" school would be! And, also...seeing your other skills in life....um...ya know?! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope all went well. I'm with Barb. Good for you for concentrating on being so much to so many.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SIOUX:
    Stumbled on your blog when I noticed your name as a blogger another person was following in Florida.... sure have been putting words to paper in wonderful order! So you retire next year? A strange word for us who seem to just change venues...this is just a nod to say I'm happy you are well and filled with energy!
    Mary Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sioux - It is obvious that you care a great deal about your students. I do hope the parents who partner with you for the good of their student outweigh the number who prefer to complain. God bless you for investing so much of yourself into your teaching. There are a lot of lucky kids out there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't let one set of parents cause you to question your talents. There are judgmental types everywhere -- that's their problem! (There's also the issue of the national meltdown that is occuring, and it's probably skewering a lot of perspectives...) Otherwise, if you decide on a career change (and I don't think you will), may I suggest comedy writing? Those options you listed were hilarious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sioux,
    I am a preK teacher (34 years) and know how you feel. I too had a doozy conference, actually two of them last week. We should really TALK and compare. I am friends with many SW members. http://lindaoconnell.blogspot.com/ you can email me at the address listed in my intorduction.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...