The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Sunday, March 4, 2012

Let's Make a Deal

       Right now, an illustrator (Mark) is busily working on drawings for my picture book. Probably tirelessly tiredly as well, because he also has a full-time job, chickens to tend and hounds-from-hell to corral.

       This has been a drawn-out process. I initially begged my daugher (who is also an artist, besides an extraordinary mother), but keeping pace with my four-year old granddaughter left her no time or energy for it.  Enter Mark. 

        I have no money to entice him, but that's okay. Mark is just as whorish as I am. He's eager to get his name on the cover of a book. And he's taking the task quite seriously.

        A week ago, I went to the Saturday Writers meeting, and something that Joe Schwartz* said hit me like a freight train.

        He mentioned that he is broke, so when he needs someone to edit, he offers to mow their grass or change their oil. He doesn't have the money, but he does have skills he can barter with. He does the same thing when he needs a bookcover designed. 

photo by amanda (slh)


       Right now there is not much grass to mow, and nobody would want to drive their car after I changed the oil in it, but I do make a mean batch of fudge. It takes four hours  to make this fudge, but it's well worth it.** 

       So, I'm going to hold the proverbial carrot in front of Mark. For every illustration he finishes, I am going to make his some fudge or some Symphony brownies or some other chocolate delicacy. (He is a chocoholic just like me.)





     It seems only fair...


* Joe was so persuasive, he convinced me to get onto facebook, which is indeed miraculous...

** The fudge does take an extraordinary time to finish. Five minutes to cook, and 3 hours and 55 minutes to cool.

12 comments:

  1. And seconds to eat. Or so I'm told. Not to mention an eternity living on my midsection like a floatation device. But this was seriously interesting about bartering for edits and illustrations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sioux, I just heard the other day about the two speakers. (I wasn't at the meeting, in case you didn't miss me!)And that does sound like a great idea. I know you cook and bake some delicious foods, but I don't think I knew about the fudge! Mmmmmm! (and me being myself...I just have to point out that you missed a great pun...2nd Paragraph: "This has been a drawn-out process." ....DRAWN...bud-dum-dum!) I need to think of something we can barter about.....because I'd sure love some of that fudge!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dang! For a minute there, I thought that fudge was more time-intensive than my world-famous Chex Mix. Maybe you could offer your services as a hair-washer in the school's bathroom sink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spoon it on, you'll get someone to trade with you, my artist and writer friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tammy--I'm with you...on ALL counts.

    Becky--I DID miss you, and had a couple of things for the raffle basket.

    Val--I already have gotten that business off the ground. The appointment hours are 5-9 p.m. and "wedge in's" are welcome.

    Linda--I'll make you fudge. Will you kick me in the butt every day?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do you need your grass cut this summer? I love chocolate!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Next time you need to make fudge try this Foolproof Fudge with sweetened condensed milk, chocolate chips and a microwave oven (THAT'S ALL!)

    http://www.eaglebrand.com/recipes/details/?RecipeId=3968

    It's wonderful and takes minutes. You can lie and tell them it takes hours. I won't care.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sioux,
    Okay. I'm officially hungry now and want chocolate.
    You are right about Joe's talk making an impression at Saturday Writers. I'm happy you found an illustrator for your book. I can't wait to read it!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  9. That fudge sure looks good. Good luck with your PB. I love writing PB manuscripts,still waiting to get one published, though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your fudge is fabulous so that will be a nice trade.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There are also things like babysitting, haircuts, cooking dinner ie a BBQ, cleaning, laundry, and many a thing you might consider drab or mundane other folks would go gaga to trade you in kind for a little old editing or graphic art. You never know until you ask.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Leenie--That's my recipe! It IS good and it IS easy.

    Donna--I will make you fudge to celebrate your prize. Nuts or not?

    Janet--Thanks, and good luck to you as well.

    Lynn--Yes, a nice trade. A momentary delicacy...a lifetime of flab.

    Joebaby--You are right. The possibilities are endless, and you don't ever know until you ask...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...