The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Chicken Tonight

         When my daughter was growing up (she's now in her thirties), one of her favorite dinners involved the jarred Chicken Tonight sauce.  I think Ragu made it, and it was delicious. Pop off the lid, cube up some chicken and cook it, then pour on the sauce. It was a white sauce, with a few vegetable bits floating around, and a hint of wine...well seasoned and good-to-go straight from the jar.





        My oldest child and I were bemoaning the fact that this sauce has been discontinued for years. After our talk, I was determined to find a recipe that would replicate the scrumptious stuff.

       I found several online, experimented...and last night I was successful. 

       If you feel like you've been "discontinued" as a novelist because you haven't worked on your book for a while...if you feel like you've been taken off the shelves because you haven't gotten any acceptance letters recently...if you feel like you've vanished from readers' eyes because you haven't blogged in a while--experiment. Check out the calls for submissions. Try something.

       You might find you have started a delicious piece of writing...


Chicken Tonight Redone

1-2 carrots, diced small
1/2 onion, diced
mushrooms (6 or 7), cut into small pieces
2 cans of cream of mushroom soup
1 can of evaporated milk
sherry

Sautee the vegetables until soft but not browned. (I cooked them in a pan and then softened them in the microwave.) Add the mushroom soup and the milk. Add a splash (and then a couple more splashes) of the sherry. Add salt to taste. This sauce, when some cubed, cooked chicken is thrown in, makes a wonderful entrée...it can be served over noodles or rice. 



24 comments:

  1. I used to love this mix they had for blondies, which are sort of like brownies, except different, lol. Anyway, it's long gone. *sniffle*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shay--My mother used to make "Blondies" which were butterscotch brownie-like things. Is that what the mix was--butterscotch-y?

      Delete
    2. Shay--I think I miiight have a recipe for "Blondies." Would you like it if I can find it?

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you've unlocked the secret code. I've never heard of this. Maybe becuase we were Hamburger Helper people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Linda, we did a lot of that too. One box of Hamburger Helper and 1/2 pound of meat. (That meat had to be streeeetched thin. ;)

      Delete
  3. This looks yummy! I am going to have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is something even I might be able to make. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna--You're welcome. If you can open a can and splash from a bottle, you can make it.

      Delete
  5. Oh, this sounds good. I can see a plop of sour cream in all this too! Tying this to writing...was a good nudge for me. I am "thinking" but not actually doing right now. I need to "get to it"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bookie--It is good, and easy, and I'm all about easy when it comes to cooking.

      As far as writing--me, too. I need to get off my butt and 'stir the pot.'

      Delete
  6. I remember those commercials. "I feel like chicken tonight, chicken tonight..." We never had it, though. We were Hamburger Helper people like Linda. But only the Beef Noodle version.

    I need to get a few ingredients simmering before I'm ready to stir the pot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would you believe I still sing that commercial every time I cook chicken?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mama Zen--I not only believe it, I'm sure you sound MUCH better singing it than I do...

      Delete
  8. I don't remember Chicken Tonight - maybe it was a regional product.

    Since I've been reincarnated as a housewife, I've found lots of copycat recipes online. Allrecipes.com, Food.com, and copycatrecipes.com. Unfortunately for me, the dishes often taste better than what I used to eat in restaurants - which means I'm stuck doing the cooking AND the dishes. Life is so unfair.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim--I agree. My husband is a great cook (he cooks 99% of the stuff that I eat) and what he comes up with is almost always better than restaurant fare.

    I'm sorry. There IS a benefit to being mediocre. Try screwing up a few times. Maybe then you'll get to go out and eat...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Since Mister Man went on a low sodium diet, I've banished canned soups. But oh, how I miss 'em.

    (Missed your inspirational blog posts, too! And P.S. I like chatting while traveling, but I will sing--and loudly--if the Neil Diamond CD is in. Well...that's not true. I will sing--and loudly--for just about ANY CD. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favorite Neil Diamond's records is from the early 70's--Hot August Night.

      You? You like to chat? THAT'S a surprise...;)

      Delete
  11. Good advice and a good recipe, too. Bonus! Thanks, Sioux!

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved that stuff. There is alfredo sauce in jars, but it doesn't have the veggies. Why do they discontinue the good stuff? Maybe it's available in Canada?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcia--I don't think so...at least that's the impression I get from comments on the internet. However, this "homemade" stuff is pretty good, and it's super simple.

      Delete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...