The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Saturday, July 27, 2013

So, What's Your Story?

          Today I went to the Saturday Writers meeting. Kristina Blank Makansi and Jennifer Dunn Stewart of Blank Slate Press were there to talk about queries (Yikes!) Some of the people shared their query letters for critique--I shared my steaming pile of poop query letter. It was not pretty helpful.

        If you are a writer, you'll enjoy this video. And if you are not a writer, but you are constantly amazed by people's unrealistic self-perceptions and their screwed-up views, you might chuckle right along with us writerly folks... 





       I read C. Hope Clark's post about the stories that are left untold. It is my belief that everyone has a book in them. Everyone has a story to tell.  What stories do you have that are not being shared? They will vanish if they aren't told to someone or written down. What stories do your parents or grandparents or aunts or uncles have that will be lost without being chronicled?

       Don't put it off until it's too late...You'll regret it if you wait too long.

       And it's not too late to be a part of Not Your Mother's Book...On Being a Mom. Dianna Graveman is the editor, along with Dahlynn and Ken McKowen. This book (see the cover below) has August 1 as a deadline. If you have a story for this collection, submit it quickly. For other titles, check out www.publishingsyndicate.com for dozens of anthologies that are currently being developed.


My story, "So Far I've Avoided Prison...Pass the Wine,"
has made it through the first round. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.




19 comments:

  1. I have waited too long already as so many story bearers are gone in my family! Recently I have decided to make some lists about family members and just make up what I don't know! That should make some stories!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claudia--I hope you DO get those stories written down. Good luck.

      Delete
  2. I saw that little clip a while back. I LOVE their monotone, computer-generated inflections. I have years of embarrassing stories recorded in my blogs, and I've made a couple of blog books for posterity. Shh...one of my stories made the first Mom round.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Val--The sad thing is, there are people who DO think like that.

      Congrats. I'll cross my eyes for you...

      Delete
  3. Congrats, I hope you make it. If I can make the time, I'll make the effort to submit something. Thanks for sharing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer--Thanks. Sometimes enough time is a tough thing to find...

      Delete
  4. Enjoyed the video. Especially the part about how, on page 50, you suddenly think of a better idea for a plot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tammy--I'm glad. I liked when he said, "I wrote one page. It's awesome."

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Shay--What is NOT hilarious is how many "writers" actually think those things...

      Delete
  6. That video was HILARIOUS!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lynn--I agree. When it comes to people and their varied way of thinking, there is no shortage of funny stuff.

      Delete
  7. It was good to see you at Saturday Writers.

    I watched the video clip after the SW presentation and laughed out loud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna--It's always good to see you. Yes, I thought it was funny as well.

      Delete
  8. I've seen that video a couple times but it never gets old! Cheer up, Sioux--you're a trooper for putting your query out there. And now you're one step ahead in that novel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy--Yes. It happened like this: the pile of poop was examined by a group of people. They picked it apart...from a distance, because nobody wants to get too close to something stinky. Everyone commented on its stench.

      And the person who dumped it there ran away as soon as possible. ;)

      Delete
  9. "I wish I could kill you. And get away with it." Oh this strikes the bone! Every time I meet someone whose "going to write a book" (until I was around long enough that I started meeting people who ACTUALLY wrote books) it takes everything I've got not to hit their faces with their yellow legal pad of random plot notes till they bleed. "Do you not KNOW how hard this is? I HARD I've been working my WHOLE LIFE to make this happen???"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Therese--I know a few people you could go after with your legal pad. Do you take requests?

      Delete
  10. Thx for posting the video, reminding me to watch it. I don't have a gun in my car, but sometimes ...
    I also made the first cut on Being a Mom. we'll see.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...