The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Friday, March 22, 2019

Slice of Life Day # 22: Mrs. Wright



I'm so excited. Tomorrow I'm having lunch with a teacher I haven't seen in over 40 years. 

Will she recognize me? Back then I was thinner. I wore overalls and moccasins (every day). My face was unwrinkled.



Will I recognize her? I imagine so. Back in the 1970s, I thought Mrs. Wright was ancient. Old. Her gray hair (actually dishwater blonde back then), her senior citizen shoes (actually just sensible heels) and her polyester dresses and suits (that was the style in those days) all seemed laughable, making me almost dismiss her.

However, it was Mrs. Wright who made me do the hard work when it came to research. She taught me the value of revision (even if it took decades for me to fully embrace the concept) . She taught me perseverance.

That's Mrs. Wright--on the left--with a student teacher. 

This fall, in NCTE's journal Voices from the Middle will publish a letter I wrote to Mrs. Wright. (The issue is being dedicated to teachers from the past.) Because of Mrs. Wright I am a freelance writer... and a wannabe/soon-to-be novelist.

I can't wait...


7 comments:

  1. And I can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is incredible! Congratulations on your publication! I can't wait to read tomorrow's blog...I hope you write about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to hear about it! What was her reaction to the letter?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sent it (a hard copy of the letter) right before Christmas and she said it was the best Christmas present she got.

      Delete
  4. How wonderful! I'll bet this makes her day - and yours, too!.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...