The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Thursday, April 9, 2020

These Crazy Days

These days, I’ m worried about what everybody’s worried about. No, not a lack of toilet paper (we have enough of that). But, along with the more serious concerns, there are some minor ones.

Like my hair. In the last 6 months, I found a shorter hairstyle that I like. Every month, I was getting it trimmed.

No more. I can trim my bangs, and probably do a passable job, but the back? The sides? I’m afraid I’m going to be rocking a mullet soon, and nobody wants to see Sioux in a mullet.

The corona 15. People (me included) are eating more than usual. We’re stuck with books, our television and our refrigerator. There are jokes that we’ll all gain 15 pounds before this is over. Stress eating or boredom eating? You be the judge.

My yarn supply. One of the things I’ve been occupying myself with (along with avoiding writing and the distance teaching I’m doing) is knitting. I’ve knit a baby blanket for my soon-to-be-born grandson (due in June). I’ve knit a baby/family blanket for a French great-niece or nephew (due in September). I’ve knit one scarf for our dog rescue’s silent auction. Now I’m knitting a scarf for myself with some left-over yarn, and I’m afraid I won’t have enough.

These days, we’re losing loved ones. My son, a doctor, is still okay. Everyone I know and love is uninfected and healthy--except for a couple of friends who are battling cancer. This week, the coronavirus claimed two legendary singers--Bill Withers and John Prine. Everybody’s familiar with Bill Withers, but John Prine flew under the radar when it came to some. Musicians from all different backgrounds loved him, and commonfolk like me adored his humor, his poignancy and his humbleness.

If you'd like to read what scares me when it comes to writing, read my post on The Muffin. And, if you'd like to hear John Prine (in his earlier years), listen to "Angel From Montgomery."




If you'd like to see how subtle (and how funny) John Prine could be, listen to "The Other Side of Town" which is about a husband's selective hearing...



... because these days, we need reasons to laugh and to embrace the joy when we find it.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the videos! Life is so fragile. Trying to find balance between overindulging and being completely unproductive. hair? I don't care. Going gray, eh, that's okay. Can't handle a scissor, so i will let it grow. heading for a muffin. TO the Muffin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the lovely musical interlude, Sioux. Had a vinyl of Bill Withers and spent a morning listening to him. Mister Man loved him--and really, who wouldn't love that voice?--and had a bittersweet moment, enjoying the music and remembering...

    Re: your hair...I've been known to hack at mine so I say give it a whack if you can't take the mullet. I feel like we're gonna see a lot of folks with whacked at locks in a month or so. :-)

    Off to read the Muffin post now--take care, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An upcoming grandson! How exciting! Your hair should be nice and long for him to grab a handful of when you see him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you heard the John Prine song, In Spite of Ourselves? Here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8tTwXv4glY He talks for about a minute and a half before the song starts. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...