The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Monday, June 14, 2021

Shifting Thinking

 I'm old. I'm rooted in the "old school" ways. However, when something new happens to you, you have to get some new tools in your tool belt.

I recently was fortunate enough to get my book published. That is definitely something new. Before, I only had to contend with a long string of rejection emails--or no email at all. Now, I have to shift my thinking so I can promote my book.





This is one thing I did: I created some shirts. I wore it when I went to Tulsa recently, and the shirt did spark some conversations.

I'm busy speaking to bookstore owners and museum personnel, to hopefully set up some author events. This is also new.

And I'm taking a break from writing curriculum to write this post. My publisher (the brilliant Margo Dill) is working on getting sponsors who will buy classroom sets of my book for teachers, and I'm writing the curriculm materials that will accompany the sets. As a teacher, I'd want a variety of different activities to do with the book, along with comprehension questions (to make it easier, when adding a new book to the classroom's reading list).

How about you? What new things are you doing lately?




5 comments:

  1. I'm doing nothing new, but I REALLY like the idea of having curriculum materials for your book. I was not a reading teacher, but when I had to select new science textbooks, the curriculum materials were the #2 factor affecting my decision. The first being how well the book covered the concepts I was required to teach.

    I also like the shirt. I'd ask you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Approach charter schools. I'll bety there would be a market there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting your book into classrooms would be fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Val--Thanks... and I'd tell you all about it. ;)

    Linda--That is a wonderful idea. Thank you.

    Pat--I agree. But then, I'm a bit biased... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...