The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Monday, February 18, 2019

A Reformed Pantser?

cards to help me organize my next novel...

I usually write creative nonfiction. Personal essays. Short memoir pieces. Novels are definitely not my thing.

However, over two years ago I began writing a novel for middle-graders. I wrote it during NaNoWriMo of 2016, alongside my middle-school students. Because it's historical fiction, I could fly by the seat of my pants. I didn't create an outline. I didn't do any pre-planning. I followed the timeline of the historical event (it took place over a two-day period) and it seemed to work.

(Now I'm shopping it around, hoping to snag an agent or publisher.)

For NaNoWriMo of 2017, I started another novel, this one for young adults. Since there was no historical event to help me pace out the story, the plot has floundered. There's lots of character development and unconnected events, but no true "story." I was frustrated because I had written around 25,000 words and nothing had really happened. 

Then destiny came dashing in. I was asked by The Muffin to review a book. After I read it, my opinion of planning and outlining completely changed.



This book is so user-friendly and presents an innovative way of helping writers organize their novel. However, there's plenty of room of room for me to pants around (write by the seat of my pants) as well.

I'm heading to a writing retreat this weekend. Hopefully, I will get enough note-writing done so I can do some outlining during the retreat.

A pantser becoming a planner... It's a miracle.

9 comments:

  1. Enjoy your retreat! Can't wait to hear about it later, to see if you got de-pantsered!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be as horrifying to other people as a naked foot is to you. ;)

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your retreat and hope you brought several pairs of pants! Maybe you will have time to dance in your pants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pat--Me, dance? I don't think so. The only dance I know how to do well is "The Elaine" (from Seinfeld) and I do THAT dance really well. ;)

      Delete
  3. Yeah, I go back and forth (with outlining), Sioux, because sometimes it's just important to get the story down first. I pay later, of course, but that's what revision is for, right? :-)

    Enjoy your retreat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy--Yeah, when I pay for it later, it's more like "slash and burn" rather than revision.

      Thanks. I am sooo looking forward to it.

      Delete
  4. I am going to say I knew her when...
    Enjoy your writing retreat. I'm sure you will come back with a new novel mapped out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda--Thanks for those encouraging and kind words. The new novel? Not even close to "all mapped out." However, I did begin outlining it.

      Delete
  5. Just think of it as an outline, not a court order. :-) Things can always change as the story progresses.

    Hope you had a productive and fun writing retreat.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...