The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Sunday, March 31, 2019

Slice of Life Day # 31: What is Art... and What is Next?




Yesterday I sat in the Contemporary Art Museum St. Louis for most of the morning. I overlooked a huge sculpture. I'd write. I'd glance up and look across the gallery. I'd write. I'd scan the pieces that were part of the artwork, then I'd chat to a writer friend who sat next to me. I'd write some more.

Here is a view of part of the piece:




Here is another view:




Some people might not think this is truly art. I used to think that, but over the decades, I've changed... been transformed, which I think is such an integral part of art. If it's transforms, if it makes us think or reflect or talk with others... if it's an expression of the artist, it's art (at least in my opinion).

Today is the last slice from me (don't cheer too loudly. I know some of my slices have been sour or bland). Beginning tomorrow I'll be posting a poem every day. We'll see how much inspiration I can whip up for myself on a daily basis.

5 comments:

  1. Looking forward to some poems... can't promise inspiration will come every day but excited to see what is sent our way :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visual art, like the written word, is in the eye of the beholder. Subjective, in other words. I thought about this earlier today while at a local art festival with my husband. I appreciated the hard work and dedication required by the artists in their various mediums, but only a few of the offerings made my heart go pitty-pat. And yet I'm certain there were other festival goers who loved the pieces I was able to easily leave behind. I try to remind myself of this with my own writing. Not everyone is going to love what I write or how I write it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Lisa. There are priceless works of art for which I would not pay two cents. Yet I can find some inexpensive print at Hobby Lobby and think it's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just about any object can inspire me to write, not necessarily buy. I'm with Pat. I'm sure your poetry will resonate and lead to publication.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And now you are going to do daily poetry? Wow! Once in a while I get creative, but daily would be too much to hope for. I haven't tried your method, though and it does give me some ideas. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...