The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Monday, April 1, 2019

Poetic Postings Day # 1

April is here. I've accepted a poetry challenge. A poem. Every. Day. (What have I gotten myself into? ;)

This poem is inspired by my son and daughter-in-law's foster baby. This young man is three months old and was born two months premature... and he's such a doll.

Big brown eyes
Just learning to side-eye

Fingers so incredibly long
and skinny
I just know you'll be a musician
some day

Beautiful skin,
Like milk chocolate
Legs that never quite relax--
Just like  your arms

Two months premature
is way early
You were all chill in
your mama's swimming pool
of a tummy
and
now
you've got to find your way

Someday

Someday you'll grab a handful
of life
(not just my finger)
and this tenuous beginning
will be behind you,
leaving not even a wispy memory

But until someday comes along,
there's today

6 comments:

  1. Oh my..."a hand full of life..." What a line. Kudos to your kids for fostering that sweet baby. You are onto something with this poetry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Linda and Cathy said. This one makes my heart happy. Thank you for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were all chill in
    your mama's swimming pool

    I need to remember that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the poem! Makes me want to cuddle a baby. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for sharing this poem.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...