The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Saturday, March 9, 2019

Slice of Life Day # 9: John, Richie, Cat and Harry

Next week I'm going to see John Mellencamp in concert. I enjoy his music, and once made a trip to Indianapolis, a solo car trip, and listened to nothing but him the whole way. Anything else seemed sacrilegious. 

However, concerts and me don't always mix well. I get antsy--sitting for that long--and they never seem to measure up.

I've been spoiled, I guess, by the best. 

My first concert was John Sebastian and Richie Havens. It was in Washington U's Quadrangle. Under the stars, surrounded by the stone buildings as John asked if we believed in magic... as Richie begged over and over for freedom... Well, it was the perfect first.






My second one was Cat Stevens. I admit: I had a serious teenage crush on him... and I was in great company. He had a string of famous, gorgeous girlfriends. Patti D'Arbanville. Carly Simon wrote "Anticipation" about him.

His once-glossy black curly hair is now short and gray. Now he is Yusuf, but he can still sing...

However, it was Harry Chapin who ruined all concerts--forever--for me. An incredible songwriter with a not-so-incredible voice, he made the evening we spent together into an intimate experience. That night he spoke to us of his hopes and dreams--through his music--and joked with the audience and his band in a sometimes-bawdy manner. He was humble and self-deprecating. He was delightful.

What's a memorable concert you've been to, and why was it so unforgettable?




9 comments:

  1. I saw Cher in a dynamite concert, but Rod Stewart's singing crooned me back to my past and made me blush at some of the memories his songs evoked. You were a lot wilder than me. I didn't experience my youth until I was 38. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda--When you grabbed your youth (finally) you were a lot wilder than I was. Remember--you've told me stories. ;)

      Delete
  2. I don't remember my first. But I remember one that I had goosebumps through most of the performance. It was a band that played traditional Persian instruments, but then added in SOOO many awesome and random objects and created the most harmonious sounds from. I will find a link to share with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fatemeh--I cannot wait. Please do send when you find the link.

      Delete
  3. Ozark Mountain Daredevils. Even though I lived in a dorm 3 blocks from the venue, my pals picked me up, and proceeded to drive two tires over the concrete parking slab at the concert. Best thing about a concert on a college campus: lots of strong young men. They picked up the front end of that car and parked it right. Oh, yeah. The concert was pretty good, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Chicken Train" and "If You Wanna Get to Heaven" are two of my favorites from them.

      Did you know what their original name was? And, what was going to almost be their new name? (CCC and HAOMD)

      Delete
  4. I loved Cat, Carole, and Harry too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's a story here about this time I was barefoot in a mosh pit... we should swap stories some time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, wow. The best? That's hard to decide. Neil Diamond was great. Bryan Adams, too. But I've seen Keith Urban twice and would see him again. His show had tons of energy and the mood of the crowd, both times, was fantastic. A show I'd love to see, but won't because the tickets are too pricey, is Hugh Jackman's Greatest Showman tour. I KNOW it's got to be amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...