The Pyrenees---Southern France

The Pyrenees---Southern France

Monday, March 7, 2022

Only One Hour

This evening I spent only one hour with a complete stranger. Yet when she left, I felt reenergized... replenished.

The first Monday and the second Tuesday of every month, I'm at a table at St. Louis Bread Co. Most times, it's just me, which is fine. I get some writing done. I get some papers graded. I play Wordscapes on my phone. I answer emails.


                                                               image by Pixabay


However, this time, I was pleasantly surprised. A woman came up to me and said, "Your name wouldn't by chance be Sioux?" Wonder of wonders, she was there to get some feedback on her picture book manuscript.

Asking too many questions (as is usual for me), I learned she had the idea for this book 15 years ago. This would be her first book baby. As I read her manuscript, I was charmed. The rhyme was natural and didn't stick out in a stilted fashion. (I hate when people can rhyme so seamlessly. ;) There was a flair to the plot. A sassyness to the characters that was delightful.

Spending time with other writers gives me energy... reignites my passion... makes my eyes dance and my hands wave and gesticulate.

When I spend time with other writers--even for only an hour--I'm spending time with my people...


5 comments:

  1. I GET that! I know some wild women who can wield pens. So, were you planning on meeting her, or did she think you looked like a Sioux? And as for the Chicks, I have a great IN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Writer love! 💕 I'm really enjoying your use of strikethrough as a tool for humor -- it's great! I'm definitely looking forward to being reenergized by my writer friends this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yippee! Can't wait to hear who showed up :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda--She was looking for writing groups, and I "lead" one on the first Mondays and the second Tuesdays of the month... and my picture (a scare one ;) is on the website, so she kind of recognized me.

    Caroline--Yeah, I love the strikethroughs. Almost as much as I love the dot-dot-dots.

    Tracy--It was someone who saw the schedule of writing groups on GWP's website... which means all that information you make pretty and post makes an impact.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right. Writers need other writers for energy, encouragement, and connection. I don't know what I'd do without my writing groups!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate you taking the time to stop by...